Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question New and need help.

I am between a beginner and intermediate crocheter and need some help decoding some directions.

I get to a point in some edging directions and then don't know what I need to do over, again or instead of....

Here are the directions.

Edging: Row 1: Ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc], ch 1, sc in next dc, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in center ch-3 sp, ch 2, sc in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc, rep between [ ]’s once more, ch 1, skip 1 dc, dc in last dc. Turn.

This is from Halstead Shawl pattern by Berroco.

I get the first line right, then am confused by the introduction of the brackets. I understand the parentheticals but am not sure how the brackets enter in and what I am repeating within them.

Post Thanks / Like
    After you do the first stitches then the do exactly what the pattern dates: [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, then ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc] then ch 1, sc in next dc, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in center ch-3 sp, ch 2, sc in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc

After you do this then go back and work exactly the same pattern: [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc] One more time then you will : ch 1, skip 1 dc, dc in last dc. Turn

The Astrix's mean repeat the pattern in between them. The brackets are just showing you that you don't repeat the stitches before the brackets.

Hope this helps ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I will surely try it and see if it is clearer to me and let you know.
    Thanks for responding!
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another question. On line 4 following the bracket, it says to put a dc in the next sc, but there doesn't appear to be a sc to put a dc into. Am I misreading this? (Very likely but I can't figure out if it's a typo or a ''user" error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug75 View Post
    I have another question. On line 4 following the bracket, it says to put a dc in the next sc, but there doesn't appear to be a sc to put a dc into. Am I misreading this? (Very likely but I can't figure out if it's a typo or a ''user" error.
    On top of page you posted on line 4 of the edging you said that the directions are to put a sc in next dc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, found my error and the pattern error as well finally. Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I also quoted the wrong paragraph. But there did indeed end up being a typo in the pattern for whatever row I was reading from. Thanks for helping.

I was born in West Virginia and I live in Kentucky and I'm half Native American Blackfoot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi my name is Risa I am going to be spending a lot of time at home now I was just recently told I have stage 4 metastatic malignant melanoma and Lymphoma I have grand two grandchildren I have three sons and a daughter I've made them Afghan throughout the years one way or another they've all been lost I love doing granny squares my son likes feathers both of them like feathers and owls my daughter likes flowers and butterflies to make a long story short I am wanting to do Afghans for them before I pass so even if I'm not here at Christmas they will still have something from I'm looking for Al's butterflies flowers simple square patterns granny squares and you know just cutesy things for the grandkids they're very girly girl and my daughters are girly girl so anything it would go and with that I would greatly appreciate the help I want to get started now because we don't know when God bless all of you hopefully some of you guys will have some easy patterns are willing to share or some suggestions on how to make it go quicker

Post Thanks / Like
    I just realized that your last question about line 4 was a reading mistake on your part. The pattern says to sc in next dc lol
    Last edited by Tangles64; 06-29-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typi

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't understand or are having trouble with a section just let me know.