Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Central Texas!

Hi all, I'm glad to find this board with so many active members!

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was a wee girl but I've only picked it up again in the last few years. My sisters and sister-in-law are also crafty type women but we can't seem to get together for crafty fun times lately, so I'd love to meet some friends here to jaw about fibercrafts with.

I've got three projects and an experiment I'm working on currently. I guess I'll tell you about them.

First one is a granny square scarf for my niece, for Christmas, small black granny squares, red edging, then joined in black, with fringe on the end--haven't decided about the color of the fringe. It's been giving me fits but I think it will turn out nicely. I'm doing it in this wonderful soft worsted that's cotton and birch modal. Really shows off the stitches, which Brookie won't care about, but is light enough and worked open enough that she won't die of heat stroke when she wears it, which she will be happy for.

The second is an afghan in granny squares of green, blue, red, and yellow, edged in black (I like black), and I hope to place them so as to make sort of a pseudo-rainbow effect diagonally. At this stage I'm still working on the squares so we'll see. I originally intended this to be a bedspread, but I have dogs who like to dig at the blankets, so I'm not sure that's the best idea ever, LOL.

The third project and the oldest is an afghan that is one monstrous granny square in this yellow, orange, and white ombre. It's from a blanket my mom made waaaaaaay back (in the 70s) in yellow and white ombre that I called the scrambled egg blanket when I was small, because that's what it looked like to me; when I saw that yarn at the Joann, I immediately thought OMG SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CHEESE!

The experiment is me trying to work a square blanket of diamond lattice from the middle out. If you've been hearing some woman use lots of bad language very loudly from a long way away, that was probably me. I can't get it to come out right.

I have about a zillion other things on my mental list to make, including a special-request hat for my son and an afghan for my roommate, but I'm sticking with these ones right now, because too many projects = no projects being finished. I've been reading through the "what are you working on" thread and enjoying it. I love to see other people's stuff and get new ideas, and I *really* love it when people ask questions and get answers that solve problems I didn't even realize were happening!

Also I'm long winded, sorry. Looking forward to forum-ing with y'all!

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum!! It is nice to meet you! I crochet filet items and just finished the jacquard vest for myself.
    Have a good day
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Filet is on my very long list of things to learn. Would love to see your vest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the vest
    Greetings from Central Texas!-vest-jpg
    and inner side
    Greetings from Central Texas!-vb-jpg
    Will you show photos of your works?
    have a good day!!
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    That vest is so intricate--I would love to do patterns like that! I'm not very good at keeping my place when counting though, LOL.

I will post some pics after I have cleaned up in here. My unmade bed with the wiener dog pillow fort is not the best background in the world, nor the recliner with all coats and things and the whippet dog curled up on them.

My projects are nothing as fancy as that vest though, I'm purely amateur. You have been warned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! This vest is my first try and people say the edging is ugly. Do you have a cat? I have 6 birds
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a cat, a Russian Blue named Vesper. She is half the time sweet as pie and half the time destructo-kitty. What kind of birds do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I am Russian too... not Blue though.
    I have 4 budgerigars and 2 crazy lovebirds.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Eeeee so cute birds! Now I'm imagining little bird sweaters, because I am crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!! Maybe penguins
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן