Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am grandma jenny

I have a daughter and 3 grand kids (2,5, and 11 years old) that I adore. I started crocheting again last year after my daughter became ill with a septic infection that ultimately lead to the amputation of both of her legs below the knee and most of her fingers on both hands. I started crocheting when she lay unconscious for 60 days in the hospital; at first I made a scarf for her to cover the trach tube for when my oldest then 10 year old granddaughter wanted to see her. Then eventually I made her an afghan to cover her legs to help lessen the shock of their absence for her children when they visited her. I then made ponchos out of the same yarn I made the scarf and afghan out of so that her children would know that she was always with them giving them a hug. I have continued to crochet many things now and have found it very helpful in a difficult time to help reduce stress and give me something to do when I have felt so very helpless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jenny,

Hello and welcome to Crochet Talk! What a moving story - I wish you did not have to go through what you did, but it is through these times that we grow inside. I am very glad to hear that through crocheting - you found stress relief/relaxation! We are glad you are here and look forward to hearing more from you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jenny! Such a sad story-I'm glad you came out of it with a way to cope with the stress! Crocheting can be very healing! And crocheters are quite inventive-as you were with the trach cover and covers! We are all glad you joined us and look forward to getting to know you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your welcoming words. I really enjoy crochet and have been working on some projects for myself now and I am starting to dabble into pattern making. I have also used crochet to help myself lose weight, and have lost 19 lb's since January.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jenny,
    19 lbs! Fantastic!! I never thought of crocheting as a diet aid! But why not? your hands are too full to eat! You are living proof that it works! I'm sure there are others that will find this useful! What are you making for yourself? Hope it's something pretty-you deserve it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I have made myself couple things actually, a shrug out of lions yarn that turned out great, then I made Lightweight Zen Jacket | FaveCrafts.com which I loved. So then I just tried making this little cardigan Ruffled Crochet Cardigan | FaveCrafts.com I checked my gauge and everything throughout, but when I put it on it is long, it really stretches and I mean like almost 6 inches after I put the lace trim on. Since I am losing weight I planned to redo it when I lost weight anyway, and for now I can wear it as a longer jacket, I just would not have done all the shaping on it had I know how bad it would stretch. I guess I'll learn as I go. I have a book coming on how to best fit sweaters. Any insight? I am trying to get beyond just making a square crochet fabric, I would like to be able to make garments that fit. What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jenny! Glad you are making things for yourself! I don't have any brillant ideas to help you out. I know some types of yarn stretch more that some. And knowing the properties of yarn comes with experience! Maybe somebody on this site can help! I make mostly little things. I have a business and sell at Craft Fairs right now! I make dolls, toys and games for children mostly! This year I've added household items-dishclothes, tote bags, etc! Ihave made dresses for my 2 granddaughters-fit doesn't matter quite as much with kids. They can always grow into it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Maryjane! Thanks for your response. I think you are right it takes experience. Between the yarn and the patterns. What I am finding is the patterns are not always sized well for the size other then what they are originally written in, especially if they are shaped a great deal. I am short and a large (19 Lb's less large) which doesn't always translate well. I have a book coming I found on how to make crochet garments fit, which I am hoping will give me some insight. I am also wanting to learn to make patterns and have done some experimenting when I make the kids jackets, but they don't have much shaping just being able to make a square or rectangle will do. It is always a challenge to get into a pattern and project to find that it is written off in an area that turns out to effect the whole thing and throw the count off, but this is the challenge I enjoy the puzzle I like figuring out if you will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Im suezann I have 3 children allgrown and 2 grandkids, I also started to crochet agin because my husband was diagnosed with cancer and I thought it woud keep me busy setting with him getting chemo. that was 5 yrs ago . 3 years ago I was hospitalized with septic infecton, at the same time my husband was getting a stemcell transplant in another hospital. Im very sorry to hear your daught was not as lucky . I also found that crocheting has been a grate stress reliever , and very helpfull during a very stressfull time . I made chemo hats and started giving them to the people I met . I have continued to teach myself to read patterns, and have found many free ones on the internet. I would likevery much to see some of your work and share links ,patterns and ideas, I find being home bound as a care taker limits friends, but crochet seems to have opend up a few new doors along with the internet. Im an intermediate crocheter and im working on the crocadil stich and find it is not as hard as it looked, What are you doing now? I like small projects like hats , and accesories to pbe best for me , and portable. I know the fealing of being helpless. I am hooked on crochet now and have to always be working on something or I feal lost, dont know what to do with myself with out a hook in my hands. Im new a posting sor to share some pics my take me some time to figure out. Would love to chat some time, and share thoughts Suezann

Post Thanks / Like
    God bless you Grandma Jenny! Crocheting helps me de-stress as well. I am glad you picked it up again. I have recently become disabled and started making afghans and baby blankets for the people in our Church. I love to see the smiles on their faces when they see the homemade gift. It brings joy to my heart. I pray that you keep crocheting and spread the love!

Sending blessings to you, your daughter and grandchildren.

Nana Berg68 (Kathy)