Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: New to crochet

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulasullivan View Post
    Hi my grandmother taught me how to knit when I was 5 years old, well now at 46 years old I've decided to learn how to crochet. I have done 2 baby afghans, which I'm happy with. But my problem is I only know how to do squares and the basic 3 double crochet chain 1 and so on. Does anyone have a easy pattern for a afghan I can try, please.
    Here is a great afghan pattern that I'm making right now. It is composed of only chains and single crochet, and turns out really nice. It's a nice, heavy pattern, without holes, so is really nice for babies. You can change it up by using different colors to make stripes, or it looks really nice made in a soft pastel color. Here is a link:

Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket for Beginners -- Free Crochet Pattern

Here is a link to the same pattern on Ravelry, which is a great forum for knitters and crocheters. There are pictures of blankets folks have made, and their comments about the pattern:

Ravelry: Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket pattern by Amy Solovay

Just wanted to add, and this is just my opinion: I know lots of people love to make very fancy baby blankets. My daughter has 7 children,and she tells me that her favorite blankets are the simple ones. When they are too fancy, the baby's little toes and fingers get all tangled up in the blanket. I've also had other mothers tell me this. That's why I tend to make my baby blankets pretty simple in design, and use the type of yarn and color to make them "pretty."
    Last edited by buggainok; 03-11-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama