Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: Yard Sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Faye, you have certainly gone above and beyond what was expected! Get some rest and regroup.

I did a whole bunch of craft fairs a couple of years ago, with very mixed results. I took all my papercraft items, lots of handmade cards, notebooks, and other really cute things. On a couple of shows, I barely made my booth rent back, and on a couple of others I made a little bit of money. Of course, I didn't count my time for making the things in the first place, gas to get there and back.

It was a whole lot of trouble to pack everything up, set up my display and put all the items out. Then you are there all day. Some shows were very well attended, and everyone stopped and said, "Oh how cute", looked at everything, but bought very little. I think lots of people go to craft fairs just to look and get ideas of things they can make themselves.

One lady was very honest and said, "I'm just buying one, so I can use it as a pattern to make some for Christmas!"

I think people these days are just not willing to pay for handmade items. They would rather go to the Dollar Store and get something mass produced for $1. At the shows I did, there were crocheted items, and they didn't sell well, either. People seemed to be willing to buy handmade jewelry, but only if it was very cheap. I don't think the jewelry makers made much money, either.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I am just realistic. I decided after that experience that I am only going to work for love, not money, lol. I still love making things, paper, crochet, sewing, etc. But I give my handmade items to those I love and who will appreciate them.

Here is a link to a pic of my craft fair display when I did a run through at home to lay everything out:

Craft Fair Display by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
    Last edited by buggainok; 08-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm considering another sale but it would be a craft fair. I am so tired that I don't know if I have the energy to do it. Also we did sell some things and I did sell some so I don't know if I have enough now for a craft fair. I also experienced people wanting the pattern and only buying one to get the pattern.

3. Likes justplainjudy liked this post