Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you funny pet peeves?

OK so I bring this up because like all people I have a few pet peeves. and it just drives me nuts that my own children keep saying my # 1 pet peeve (I think they do it to drive me crazy) but really what brought this on today is I watched a video and a military guy say my #1

OK Just so you know it really does make me smile 90% of the time when I hear it

My #1 pet peeve is when some one usually a teenager says "When I get in the real world". I want to say what imaginary world do you feel that you have been living in all these years??????? I heard this statement from High school students, college students and I heard this statement when I was in the Military. And it really drove me nuts when I was in the Marine Corps.
    When I hear this statement from a high school student i have to smile and chalk it up to inexperience. WISHFUL thinking that being a grown up means you don't have to learn things any more (are they in for a rude awakening).
    When I hear it from a college student, I just smile and shake my head you want that job that pays 50k+ a year how do you think others got it. It didn't magically show up on their door steps they had to work hard in school first. Learning is Part of the real world and it does not stop once you graduate.

In the Marine Corps I heard many of my troops and others as well say I can't wait until I get back to the real world. OK so I didn't smile as much when hearing it and this really bothered me probably a little more then it should have BUT YOU ARE IN THE REAL WORLD AND IT DON"T GET ANYMORE REAL THAN THIS!
    When I heard "son when you get back to the real world and earn a real living..." this from one of my troops father. I really had to bite my tongue I so badly wanted to ask him if he thought we were skipping around singing kum ba yah and picking daisy all day long.

The thoughts that come to mind when people say my pet peeve keep me entertained. lol

I was hoping to hear what others have as funny pet peeve.
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 07-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

2. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Eva that is one of my pet peeves too. Young adults in their mid 20-30's at home living at with Mom and Dad and no interest in getting a job because they can't get an upper management position right off the bat! They play video games all day. Like Dr. Phil always says if you don't have a job, your job is getting a job!!!

The other pet peeve I have is hearing "I'm bored" or I am so overwhelmed with laundry and dishes. So rather than getting up and doing something about it, they watch TV. I just think more kids feel "entitled". Our son and daughter worked during the summers and so did hubby and I when we were in high school and college, and before.

Our son spent a year after high school trying to decide what to do, and when he worked at a pizza place, he wanted us to pay for an apt. Um NOOOO. So he cut his ponytail off and joined the Marines. He was in San Diego for basic and then went to 29 Palms for a while. He was in Okinawa during typhoon, Queensland, Australia, Norway where they lived in sort of an ice cave. He got hired by an ex-Marine who was in IT in MN before he had finished his tour of duty and that was that!

I did not realize you had been in the Marines.

Eva: You should not have gotten me started! Hugs Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    When was you son in the Marines. When was he in Okinawa?

Post Thanks / Like
    He was in the Marines from 1997 to 2001. I think he was in Okinawa in 1999 or so? He worked in MN for a year and then he and his wife whom he met when he went to work in Minneapolis, moved to Seattle and he worked for the same company there until 2003 when they moved back to MN. Small world!!! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ok I was wondering if we were in Okinawa at the same time but I was in Oki in 88 I join the Marines in 87 and was medically discharged in 2000
    bootcamp was Paris Island
    School at Camp Johnson
    1 year at MCAS Futenma Okinawa
    3 years at MCB Quantico VA
    3 Years I and I duty in Kansas
    and 5 1/2 Years at camp LeJuene NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Eva: You were in much longer than he was. He finished his years at Camp LeJuene and then went right to work in MN. He said when he joined that if he was going to be in the service, he wanted to be in the hardest branch! His father wanted him to go in the Air Force but he did not want to do that!!!! Hugs, Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on the path to be a career Marine until I fell and injured my neck. I took about a 12 foot fall from the obstacle course unknown to me at the time I had crunched 3 vertebrae in my neck together but I got up to finished the course if was not until the last 10 feet did anyone know I had a problem. I was fireman carrying a male Marine who weighed about 185 lbs when I passed out from the pain. I don't remember the Marine yelling for a corpsman nor do I remember being pickup and carried to the emergency vehicle and transported to Medical. I do remember the Staff Sargent that smack me trying to get me to come to. After 20 xrays and a neck brace I was sent home with a bottle of tylenol and was old my neck would be sore for a few days. The only thing happened and should not of happened was they didn't tell me how much damage I had really done at the time it was not until almost 2 months later when I passed out in a medical facility and they were worried that I had a concussion from hitting my head on concrete was I told what was really on the x-rays from my neck. Little did any of the Doctors at the first facility know they were going to be dealing with me for a while. When word got back to my office that I would be transport to the hospital for observation that not only would my Gunny and 1 officer would be there to check on me but that the Group Surgeon who had his office next to mine would be there as well. The Group Surgeon is over all the medical facilities with in the Group was not a happy camper when he found out that I was not told how badly I had injured my neck. But was sent home on light duty with a bottle of Tylenol when I had actually done quit a bi of damage. I don't let my neck problem get in my way if I can help it but I will not be going out to run a marathon either.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my pet peeves-when people say they have to "find themselves". Like when did you lose yourself anyway? Just another lame excuse for not dealing with reality!

Post Thanks / Like
    imalefty: I like that one too! Absolutely an excuse to just check out for a while. Shirley

Eva: My gosh I am sorry you went through so much. Did you end up having surgery? Sometimes it makes you wonder if the military is really taking care of its people. Have a few too many coverups and not wanting to be responsible for mens and womens lives? I am glad you got disability. You could have had paralysis or any number of outcomes the way things were handled. Hugs, Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    No I have never had surgery the VA says has a black white and gray way of looking at things you either need it or not or will need it eventually. my injury is not bad enough for surgery but eventually i will have to have it according to the VA. I have vertebrae's c4, c5, and c6 that are crunched together and I have the discs between c4 and c5 and c5 and c6 that protrude.
    as far as the doctor was concerned I kinda understand but not really, I know those particular doctors are in a training environment and that some young Marines say they are this is that to go to medical and they are really not ill only not wanting to do what they are suppose to do. But in my case I was not trying to get out of my training I was truly hurt and I personally think that they thought I was saying it was worse then it was. (BTW) the group surgeon was extremely upset over how I was treated that he made sure that regardless each patient coming in was to be treated as they were not just trying to get out of training but actually sick or injured. Error on the side of caution. But I can see were they might get laxidazical.
    I had a troop that said he hurt his foot during Physical training and went limping off to medical but was limping on the wrong foot when he returned. Since I posted all our physical training 2 weeks in advance I had a feeling he was trying to get out of our next session (a 10 mile run) . After seeing him limping on the wrong foot I changed the physical training to basketball, so that he would miss out on it. I then waited until he was taken off light duty and scheduled the 10 mile run for the next day. hehehe