Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Many areas have transportation to medical appointments, etc. free of charge. Check with
    your local cancer society, seniors groups, or anything like that. If they don't offer it
    themselves they might be able to point you in the right direction. As others have already said
    make sure to take care of yourself, you won't do any good for your husband if you aren't
    taking care of yourself. Delegate as much as possible!

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand 100% the time and energy it will take to care for your husband. As you know, I am my husband's caregiver. As it has been mentioned be sure to take care of yourself, take "leisure moments" in between for yourself when doing tasks to help your husband such as have a cup of coffee/favorite drink, crochet a few minutes, prep items for your bath time, look outside and admire the beauty, think about an activity you'll do later. These are a few "leisure moments" that I use. Do whatever brings you joy during your "leisure moments." It's invigorating and helps you keep a sense of self. Caregivers give so much of themselves!

Please check with the nursing facility for a list of "free", "low-cost" and full price medical transportation. They gave us the following:

I understand your dilemma about medical transportation. In our suburban community, there is only one form of medical transportation(Catholic Charities) which is county-wide. It cost my hubby $5.50 to ride, for some, it's free! For our community, Tuesday is the only day that is a guaranteed ride. With hubby having many appts, it was only useful to us on rare occasions. Many appts were scheduled on other days of the week. We resorted to hiring non-emergency transportation(N.E.T.I.) which cost $100-$200 each time depending on the distance and mileage traveled. Appts are in the city, some miles away from us. We spent a great deal of money doing this for quite a while. To think, all we did was go for his appt and return home! Now, my husband is more mobile and he can travel by car.
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 07-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MeerKat How are you today (5:30pm here in MN) You are eating and all those needed things for good health. Sleep is something you need too so please nap if not sleeping. A cup of Tea, music and read will give me a long nap. TRY IT LOVE & HUGS Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterflyrose you made me feel less ignorant on Caregivers as IM NOT yet?? I just went by personal feelings etc. Your in touch with MeerKats situation GOD BLESS you my friend. That was awfull price to pay for just appt. But we know you do what you have to do??
    Hows that Beauty of a Garden?? sounds beautiful, love seeing new growth dont you and dirt I like using mulsh & fresh dirt . Like
    playing in sand...making something great & Bountiful. ((HUGS)) Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, you mentioned rest and sleep...very, very important! Your personal feelings are on target! My prayer is that you and your hubby remain healthy always. Thank you for your blessing. We are thankful that we could afford to pay the outlandish cost, there was a need and we did it! We chose to move from the city 16 1/2 years ago to the suburbs, a peaceful and quiet lifestyle! There is no bus transportation here either. We planned for a suburban lifestyle! Garden is luscious and green!(((Hugs)))~Beverly~

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

8. Likes N/A, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you definitely need the leisure moments! I take care of my mom and while she isn't completely helpless, can make it to potty alone etc., she still needs lots of help. I am thankful for all the independence she does have though. I'm so glad he is coming home from that awful place he was in. I've never cared for nursing homes, used to go and visit with people when I was a kid and the people seem to be just forgotten. I hope you find reliable transportation as well. I'll be praying for you. Hugs, Dinah

10. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So happy for you and your husband. As everyone has said, don't worry about anything except taking care of yourself and your husband. If all else fails and you don't find out anything from all the other suggestions, call the Health Department they may also be able to point you in the right direction to get some help. Best of luck you are in my thought and prayers. Anne

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your concern. I am waiting now for them to bring him here, he should be here in about half an hour.
    I am so nervous because I am wading in uncharted waters. Thank God Marina is here. I was his care giver before but then he could walk. It wasn't as hard as I am sure it will be now. But i am taking a break until he gets here so I wanted to jump online to chat with you all. And keep the prayers coming, I know I will need it.
    Love you all
    Janice(Meerkat)

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Janice WE ALL are here Praying for you my Dear Friend and your Soul Mate. Marina Thanks again for being there,

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MeerKat;93432]Thanks everyone for your concern. I am waiting now for them to bring him here, he should be here in about half an hour.
    I am so nervous because I am wading in uncharted waters. Thank God Marina is here. I was his care giver before but then he could walk. It wasn't as hard as I am sure it will be now. But i am taking a break until he gets here so I wanted to jump online to chat with you all. And keep the prayers coming, I know I will need it.
    Love you all
    Janice(Meerkat)[/QUOTE]

Prayers are there and will be. It is a totally new experience and will take time to adjust. But the love and support of your friends and family will help guide you through it.

LI Roe