Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Post Thanks / Like

Strawberry Mania

I have not been on much lately, but it has been for a good reason. Strawberries!!!
    I have spent a lot of time weeding, feeding, tending, and now I am finally starting to get a good "crop" of strawberries! This is the best year I have ever had with them!

After picking most of the day yesterday, I was able to can twenty-six pints of strawberry jam today, with my husband Bill's help. They look great, taste wonderful, and all jars have sealed!

I was sure that the late frosts had destroyed all of our fruit trees again this year, but it looks like we may actually had some come on. A lot of the apples look like they are making, and I may have some peaches! (YEA!!!)

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Cindy

2. Likes Anaisa, GrammaJoe, MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you do better with your fruit trees the deer or some critter ate every one of mine last year. I love stawberries. I don't know why I don't try to grow them. Probably because of all the work you mentioned. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    We have to keep fences around the trees so the deer cannot rub their antlers and kill them, or eat them!

Post Thanks / Like
    How wonderful to hear about fruits and berries
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I know when you live in the city with no yard it is wonderful to hear about people picking apples off their trees or making strawberry jam with your own berries. Wish everyone could taste a fresh tomato right off the plant.

7. Likes cindy.wright1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is wonderful news, my strawberry bag didn't make it; I was very disappointed. So glad to hear your's made it with all your hard work....happy gardening.

Post Thanks / Like
    They keep on coming!!! We managed to get enough to have 25 quart bags frozen!!! They will be nice in the middle of the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Twinfaye, I had to laugh at your comment about everyone tasting a good homegrown tomato. It brought back fond memories. When my sis and I were 12 and 10, my mother took us on a train to stay 2 weeks with her mother on a farm in Dunkirk, New York. My step grandfather didn't much like having 2 little girls running around the farm so he asked that we stay out of his way. He grew tomatoes to sell to the catsup factory. For several days Mom couldn't find us during the day. Then one day she noticed the salt shaker wasn't on the window sill . There was an apple tree in the center of the tomato patch. So we'd take books and sit up in the apple tree eating tomatoes. And I have to say we ate our fill of great tomatoes. Now I go to the farmer's market every Sat morning to get fresh tomatoes. I have to be there early before they are sold out.

11. Likes cindy.wright1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you not eat the apples?? I love stories like this. Our grandfather had a farm (across the street from where I live now) and he had apple trees and we would eat runty, ugly apples until we got a stomach ache. Loved that you could pick them and eat them for free. When I say "we" all the time it is because I am a twin and we did everything together.