Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Page 7 of 9 First ... 56789 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Your mother-in-law sounded so thoughtful. Lucky you. At least she left you the recipes. Mine left me her recipes, too. Some good, some bad. But you never know until you try them. Her nut and poppyseed rolls were awesome. My husband swore she always left something out of the recipe so that hers always tasted better. I agreed. But when she said mine tasted better, I knew I figured out what she left out. Ha!! It was a game to her! When Dan started teasing her, she always told me to do something with her son. I always told her that I didn't raise Dan, I just married him. Loved her anyway! She could cook and bake better than her mother. They had servants and a chauffeur before the stock market crash so they learned to do everything the "hard" way. The cook showed them how, and the chauffeur survived many a lesson in the car. Lol. Judy

2. Likes Mama Jeremy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! You've got quite a calendar of to-do's. I admire your energy! Baking is fun, but I remember the year I baked 12 different cookie recipes, 12 loaves of 3 different types of sweet breads (cranberry, zucchini and pumpkin - four of each), made a cross-stitch stocking for my baby girl, two quilts (one for my mom, one for my baby girl), and a 48x48 quilt wall hanging for Auntie B, and worked full time. By the time Christmas came (oh! and I had the family over for Christmas eve dinner!) I was so exhausted I was just glad it was over.
    Lesson learned, at least for me. My now 15 year old daughter and I decide on the 4 cookie recipes we will bake (together!) and I do one recipe of cranberry orange and one recipe of zucchini bread, they each make two loaves so not too bad. One recipe of fudge. Everyone brings SOMETHING for Christmas eve dinner and all I do is set the table and slip the ham in the oven before we leave for our 6 p.m. Christmas eve Mass. By the time we get back to the house, the kitchen smells of loverly ham, the cookies are just enough and we have two extra loaves of Sweet Breads for New Years. And I'm sane, rested and not over-Christmas'd out. for us, it's just enough. This year I did crochet 6 pairs of slippers - my daughters girl friends love them.

4. Likes Mama Jeremy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say my Mother -In -Law was my best friend. I Pray I can be half the mother in law to my son's wives that she was to me.
    Every Christmas she would give me money to go out and buy something for "Mary Festive". She started that when I was a newlywed and said I never had red shoes. So that year I had red shoes for Christmas. She was an amazing woman! Heaven is blessed to have her there and one day we will be united there!

6. Likes marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Christmas was my mom's favorite time of the year. So we all caught it from her. I usually overdo it so Dan (my husband) always helps. So do my daughters and grandson. So I get done what I can. Judy

8. Likes marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Now....when is this goin on?? We r goin to Cheyenne, Wy the 21st at midnight....Cookies to eat on the way....or to give to grandkids???? LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Eat On the way and/or give to grandkid! LOL. Judy

11. Likes marybethblus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Yea! That sounds Soooo Yummy!! Have a Wonderful Blessed Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cristmas was my grandma's favorite and mine. When i was 8 or nine i made the cookies she made the pies, and i think an aunt made the peanut butter balls.Nickolasdaniel your buckeye recipe is so much easier and taste so much better. My aunt gave me the recipe 10 years ago i believe out of hatered and it was awful, she and i never met eye to eye just like my mom. Theres only 2 people besides my family that get along my dad and my aunt who is my moms sister. Thats to complicated to explain. Love the recipes, they are in my recipe folder. THANKS

Post Thanks / Like
    My family was sane, well close to it. My husband's family? They were off the radar. I did get good recipes, though. I did tweak a few. Cuz I swear my mother-in-law left out some ingredients "accidentally on purpose." Dan even said he wouldn't swear that his mother wouldn't have done something like that. Oh well, we carried on my mom and dad's tradition of xmas brunch with crepes and sausages and our orange jubilee, nut and poppyseed rolls, cinnamon bread, and butterfly rolls.And at dinner, we always have an empty wine glass for my mother. She always spilled her glass of wine because she couldn't see well. It seems someone always spills a glass of water, wine, milk, whatever. We just make a toast to my mother, and say her angel is looking down on us on xmas day, her favorite day. God love her and everyone. Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to know if someone woul like a very good pie crust recipe? I was making a strawberry pizza and goofed on the crust its now the only pie crust we make!