Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: baking question

Post Thanks / Like
    Ascorbic acid is a dough conditioner, it helps the yeast to rise. It is also Vitamin C, so if you have Vitamin C tablets on hand, you don't need to pay higher prices in a baking catalog. Just crush up a tablet, so that it dissolves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I heard of this before, but not alone, so thanks for your help.

3. Likes Vic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile postal*girl

I make our own bread and can use a metal pan. However, I mostly use the plastic that comes with my Bosch mixer. But, when ever I make anything with sour dough, I use a glass bowl. There is a chemical reaction in the sour dough that does not work well with the metal. As was already stated, it can make marks in your metal.
    I keep my sour dough going in a glass bowl on my cupboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I read that too if it's sour dough....thanks for you input too Postal-Girl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinegar is another dough conditioner but I always think the flavor will get through into the finished bread, It probably doesn't, but I figure you don't need two acidic dough conditioners, unless you live at high elevation.
    Some add wheat gluten too to make a stronger stretchier dough (like bagel dough).

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the same w/ lemon juice? I am looking for a lemon flavour anyway so I am curious.....thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes lemon juice is very acidic as well, and should work the same as vinegar, for more lemon flavor you might want to add some grated lemon zest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the dry active yeast for all of my bread recipe's. For the sweet bread, you may want to cut back just a little on the sweetener. Not cut that in half. I have had to take a small leave of absence from my bakery so I don't have anything online or even going in my hometown right now. I have been dealing with some serious medical issues the past couple of months. I am hoping to be able to get some things going before Christmas. I hope this tidbit of information helps you some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joker yes you have been very helpful...sorry about your medical issues....I know the feeling; Vic, I don't like grated lemon...see my mom never grated it, she would...well, not peel it but kinda, um, cut small pieces out; so there I would be enjoying the 'desert' and I would bite down on it and gross! So I was curious about the lemon juice...so I would just add it w/ my liquids....right? Thanks again....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know what you mean, my Mom used to make fruitcake with candied peel, it was hard and had that bitter flavor, there are very fine zesters now, that you don't even know it's there. I make a tropical freerange fruitcake inspired by Alton Brown, and I include the finely grated yellow part of the lemon and orange peel too, as part of my spice blend.