Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: Macrame

Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot of macrame in the 70's!

Hi, I just found this and funny thing I also found some new macrame patterns online yesterday! They're using a new Red Heart yarn that's apparently a yarn that looks rather like rope, I haven't had time to check into it yet myself tho. I used to actually use jute rope when I did my plant hangers, wall hangings, hanging table... it was very cool stuff in the day!
    A male friend of mine taught me how to do it and I took off with it since I've always done hand crafting... you name it, I've probably done it, and loved all of it. I won't go into all that here tho since it would take a while, lol, My life has been made much happier overall from the creativity of making things with my hands! Now that I've discovered crochet for real instead of just the afghans I made in high school, I have fallen in love with it 100% full time all the way and am so happy to have it as part of my life!
    For now I'll post these 2 macrame patterns and another plant hanger pattern that is actually crocheted with a hook. Enjoy, and try it, you'll like it!!

macrame plant hanger

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4797.pdf

macrame wall art

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4723.pdf

crocheted plant hanger using crochet hook

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4879.pdf
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-03-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Hi All
    We were discussing the other day about how some of the home crafts are becoming lost due to no interest by the new generation. Well I have started to Macrame again as well. I used to do a lot in the late 70's and early 80's, but for some reason stopped. Well I am back at it again and enjoy it thoroughly. Its difficult to get the cord but I do have an on line source it anyone is interested.
    Hi Misty, based on the years you mentioned you might be near my age, give or take a little (I was born in '57, have I offended you, lol?!) since those were my biggest crafting years. Macrame started it all for me, then counted cross stitch big time, all kinds of needle point stitching, French Knot pillow design, stenciling on unbleached muslin and walls and furniture, painting ceramics was a huge love of mine for a while, latch hook rugs and wall hangings, tole painting on wood...

I was always doing something and I decorated my home with things I made and loved being surrounded with my own created home decor, even when I worked. I was so disappointed that in the late 80's all the materials for crafting started disappearing from stores and I couldn't find supplies to make things with. And it was not always easy for me to afford those materials either and altho I got what I could, I still watched it cost more and more and then basically vanish. I guess some happy and fortunate ppl were knitting and crocheting, but sadly I didn't know a soul who did either, or I'd have been an old hand at both by now and would be ecstatic. I don't knit and don't think I'll try to learn at this point in the game, but I plan to continue to learn everything about crochet that I possibly can for the rest of my life!

But back to my main subject, I was sad to think that people were no longer making things with their own hands, and everything would be impersonal and purchased. Also that young ppl wouldn't know the joy of creating things themselves.... so, long story made short and many years later, my career taken from me by 2 disabling diseases, my kids grown and raising their own kids, I was now a stay at home woman at the wrong time in my life. Once I finally got diagnosed and started some treatments and therapies, and got my pain under some degree of a facsimile of control, I reluctantly laid a book down and started making jewelry when my husband found and ordered me a silver & turquoise necklace, bracelet and earring set kit he found online without telling me. He was trying to get me to be myself again, God bless that man!!

And meanwhile I'd gotten my own computer again after I lost one to a virus, the day I first saw Pinterest my heart jumped for joy & I was thrilled - people HAD BEEN making things again, and going at it strong, hot & heavy, and with more recycling and upcycling involved, which was great! I didn't make jewelry for long since the materials cost more than the pre-made jewelry after a short while, and how much jewelry can you really make and do what with it? I taught myself to crochet and learned quite easily thx to youtube and some generous craft loving people who shared their time and knowledge, I am now a total crochet fanatic and addict, lol, and LOVE it!

Sorry this is so long, I needed to tell that little story, and what better place to do it than in here?! You see why I'm a good blogger, if blog mean yak yak yak lol!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mash52 View Post
    Macrame sounds interesting. I like to find out how to do that. My Aunt use to do it. She gave me a pc of her work long time ago. I never knew how to do that.
    Hi mash52, Macrame is really enjoyable, and I was really into it... check out the simple patterns in the links I posted, I never used patterns in the past for macrame but it has been a very long time since the 70's!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All
    We were discussing the other day about how some of the home crafts are becoming lost due to no interest by the new generation. Well I have started to Macrame again as well. I used to do a lot in the late 70's and early 80's, but for some reason stopped. Well I am back at it again and enjoy it thoroughly. Its difficult to get the cord but I do have an on line source it anyone is interested.
    Have you tried jute or hemp cord? They're easy to find anywhere and really affordable... I posted some good patterns to get some of yall started on a new post in this thread, I hope you like them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey SusanSoShines, Thanks for the Links. I like to try them. But getting the material will be a problem for me. So, When I can hopefully I will. I like the pant hanger. It looks awesome. I would be very interested in macrame. Thank you, again. But like I said, it will be a long time before I can try it. Love Arlene

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning everyone,
    Here is the macrame link---http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/macrame-essentials.html. it has been very useful to me hope its the same for you. I have another link for cord too if anyone needs it.
    Thx Misty, I like macrame because you can go totally simple or all out detailed. It was my 1st really serious hand craft, I was 17 when I started doing it, been a while and I worked with it for a few years. Then I went on and did every hand craft I could find, it got me hooked!! Wish I'd known someone who knew crochet or knitting back then too so I could have learned before computer days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Good morning,

I have not done macrame before. You have me very interested. I will also take a look at the link that you have provided.

I love learning new crafts. With my children, right now I have been more focused on things to do with smaller children. If I only had more time in my day!
    Hi Barb, I don't know how young your kids are but certain ages can tie knots and make simple wall hangings or even plant hangers, or at least help you - it can be that simple on some pieces. The cheaper jute rope can be really affordable but the outdoor pieces needs to be nylon or some kind of water/moisture proof material. Now I don't mean like 3-5 yr old kids, maybe more like to 8-10 yrs, they can do this alone once they learn a few basic knots. I actually never used a pattern on macrame except for something like an intricate wall hanging, or that hanging table that was actually basically a huge plant hanger with a big round piece of wood in the middle of it that made a table! You know how kids learn so easily!