Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixpixlix View Post
    Adult children "back" with parents seems to be a sign of these turbulent times. Everyone I know with adult children/grandchildren is helping to support them. In one case, two adult kids AND their kids moved back in with grandma and grandpa, neither of whom is in good health. In another, my friend is paying the mortgage because his daughter can't and he doesn't want to see the grandkids out on the street.

It very sad and turning "golden years" into tarnished times.
    It is very sad to see. I am one of the adult kids with kids that has had to move home... We are in a boom, and that has driven housing prices way up beyond affordable. Thankfully we were able to find a place that fits all 8 of us lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our daughter has aspergers...she turned 21 this year. She can't live alone and most family members think they can 'cure' her because she is very high functioning...She helps out financially and is working on becoming a puplished writer....

3. Likes nothingnowhere liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome! I hope she makes it as a writer and I wish her the best of luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you're saying. I have both my 34 year old son and 26 year old daughter back home. In some ways it's nice. Some days I'd like my house to myself! I've had a down period with health problems(my arthritis and neuropathy kicking up as well as recurrent MRSA infections) I know they mean well, but there are times when I want to wallow in misery and they think they should try to cheer me up. I don't like to be told what to do at the best of times. It makes me worse when somone is trying to help. I'm perverse. I have to see how ridiculous my pity party has become all by myself to finally break out of it. My family is actually trying to come to grips my whole situation. I have started warning them when it's best to leave me alone. It usually make me feel foolish. I can still laugh at myself so maybe I'm not a lost cause. How have others of you coped with chronic pain, disability, isolation? Just voicing my anger that this is not how I want to live my life and my feeling of helplessness that it will only get worse, makes me feel a little better. Sorry for dumping on you all. I feel I can trust you to listen and help me by sharing how you have coped. I'm even contemplating counseling...but, you know I have this thing about being told what to do. lol I don't often use that abbreviation, but it seems relevant. I've talked my way out of that little bout of feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for being there Caro

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothingnowhere thanks for your story and encouraging words...Carolyn1953, It is hard dividing my time...I have FINALLY learned to do things I LIKE and how to do them w/ my disability and I feel like I am not spending enough time making her feel more welcome....

7. Likes nothingnowhere liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I coped with pain and isolation by becoming a drug addict about 10 years ago! I have Lupus and I never know when it will flare up! And the pain medication was right there,etc! After in patient and out patient treatment I found that I did have the strength to face this head on! I wish I had had a place like this to vent! I've been clean for almost 10 years and going on with my life-a much better person than I was! Anyway-my point is you can always turn to us for support anytime you need! I've been there!!

9. Likes nothingnowhere liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    Hi! I coped with pain and isolation by becoming a drug addict about 10 years ago! I have Lupus and I never know when it will flare up! And the pain medication was right there,etc! After in patient and out patient treatment I found that I did have the strength to face this head on! I wish I had had a place like this to vent! I've been clean for almost 10
    years
    Congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maryjane. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have access to 3 levels of pain meds and try to cope with the least that will work at the time. The doctors would be happy to give me 'stuff' that would keep me a zombie. Problem is most meds that work for the pain make me sick. You'll be glad I'm doing really well today. Went out to lunch with a friend and did a little shopping. Even though I'm tired, I feel really good. Hadn't been out in 3 weeks! Thanks everybody for just being there. Caro

Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy to hear you went out today....we are incouraging our daughter to get out more;

Post Thanks / Like
    I could write the book on isolation and dealing with pain. The key for me is to keep busy. I crochet for charity and started pet sitting. I also read quite a bit. I go to yard sales as much for therapy as for bargains.

It's really amazingly sad how friends fall away and, often, family isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Some days are better than others. It's a fact for all of us.

Anyone taking a precription pain medication who gets nauseous from it needs to ask their provider for a prescription for promethazine. It will "fix" the nausea in a few minutes. I would get sick from the pain and sicker from the pain medication, until I started using it. It's not very expensive. When I need it I take just 1/2 of a 25mg tablet. It's made a read difference in my ability to function when my back acts up.