Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Gardening

Post Thanks / Like
    We have only one vole. He comes at night to the bird feeder to eat seeds that have fallen. There are two things you can try. Get some coyote urine from a sporting goods shop and spread it around. Or, you can live trap them and then set them free in the woods. Where do you live?

I agree, drying your own herbs are the best. Some people grow them in the house year round, but I have enough plants, and five citrus trees in my house in the winter and that's more than enough for m to take care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cricket,
    We have purchased a lot of dumb things that do not work. We got a solar thing makes a beep. You put in the ground where you see the tunnels and they are not supposed to come back. Ha they make tunnels all around that thing. We all so have a trap that you put in the main tunnel and it will trap them so you can take them somewhere else. They avoid that one. We have tried most of what they say will work. The only thing I saw that worked was when it rained so hard one was washed out of the ground. My son felt sorry for it because it looked to be cold. So he took it to the woods and put it near a tree and the vole dug its way back down. Hope he doesn't find his way back home and bring his new family back with him.
    Spoula

3. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    By vole, do you mean a plain little old field mouse? Someone told me you can dump them out a mile from where you are and they'll find their way back. Only cure, if you ask me, is hawks, snakes, etc. Speaking of predators, I am having a heck of a challenge with real squirrels and "Richardson Ground Squirrels" in the garden. But I think we'd have way more without the hawks. Way more chickens, too. Feh.

Just by way of discussion.

Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole? | The Outside Story

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    By vole, do you mean a plain little old field mouse? Someone told me you can dump them out a mile from where you are and they'll find their way back. Only cure, if you ask me, is hawks, snakes, etc. Speaking of predators, I am having a heck of a challenge with real squirrels and "Richardson Ground Squirrels" in the garden. But I think we'd have way more without the hawks. Way more chickens, too. Feh.

Just by way of discussion.

Shrew or Mole? Mouse or Vole? | The Outside Story
    Hi Metoo,
    These voles are the small counterpart of a mole. I have only seen the one that was wet don't know if he has fur he looked slick (from the water) He was little the size of my hand and he was not a shrew or mouse and he didn't have a tail. I know what a shrew and a field mouse looks like. He has a flat nose large feet with sharp claws to dig with they are blind and the light hurts their eyes. They leave dirt mounds all long and over the yard like a mole does. Interesting article and thanks for sharing. I have a lot of Squirrels and in winter they get in my attic and it sounds like they are bowling with the hickory nuts from our trees. It is difficult to get them out but they leave in summer as it is too hot for them. At least yours are outside.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! I read the article above, and now I'm not sure what is coming to my bird feeder at night. I thought it was a vole. But this creature is black, with no tail. I can see it when I put on the yard lights. So it eats seeds, and also it took a apple wedge that put out for the deer. I don't know what it is!

7. Likes MeToo! liked this post