Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All: I have been trying to just have perennials because annuals get to be expensive year after year. I do like to put some in pots but last year we were traveling to see elderly parents and grandchildren so the annuals did not do well. Does anyone plant/use anything else in pots which hold up better? I could do a drip system for the pots but hubby only does the lawn!!!!! I want something that looks good all summer. Thanks for any ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like red a lot! In my hanging baskets I use red petunias, in standing pots I use red salvia, both hold up really well in our hot summers (your choice of colors). As with all annuals they do require dead-heading which is cutting off the finished flowers with their immediate stem, not allowing them to go to seed as plants quit blooming when making seed. I use a 4 to 9 month slow release fertilizer stirred in each of the planting holes approx 1/2 teaspoon per plant. Good luck & have a great summer!

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in my travel trailer...I have a rose plant and two June lilies, which I am very excited to see bloom. I have also had green bell peppers and just planted potatoes. My brocolli and pineapple didn't do so well; My friends in CA have a nice outdoor garden too, but the landscaping dudes just pulled out his onions! I guess they don't garden, they weeded them out...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I just relocated a black, wrought-iron arbor from elsewhere on ,my property where it was going to waste to the front of my home and have planted 2 pink, climbing rose bushes by it. I can't wait to see how it looks by summer's end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    so fare this year I am growing herbs. I have green onions and can't wait to see if I get more than what I planted last year. I also have some garlic growing but not too sure on when to harvest them. I recently planted some thyme and cilantro. I have 1 grape tomato that is just starting out. I attempted to plant some tomatoes, bell peppers and habernero last year but they died during the frost.
    Rosie Cropper AKA dyamondrose

crochetthat.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have begun harvesting mulberries. They are so tasty. I am freezing them by the baggie full. I hope to get enough to make a pie or cobbler with. If not, we'll add them to our fruit smoothies. The plums are beginning to turn purple!

Post Thanks / Like
    When we were kids there were wild blackberries across the street and my dad would pick them by the bucketfuls and we had the best cobblers, pies etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have wild blackberries too and we get quite a large crop but they won't be ready for another 30-45 days. Somewhere I have a wonderful recipe for a triple berry cobbler that I found in a magazine. I will have to dig that out soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom had a recipe using marionberrys, blackberries and ? raspberries, I can't remember but it was awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the Triple Berry Cobbler Recipe - you can substitute berries of your choosing. This came from the Taste of Home magazine. Enjoy!
    Triple-Berry Cobbler
    6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup water
    1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1 cup fresh blackberries
    TOPPING:
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    1/3 cup fat-free milk
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon
    and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes
    or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in berries. Transfer
    to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    For topping, in a small bowl, beat sugar and butter until crumbly,
    about 2 minutes. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking
    powder and salt; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Drop
    by tablespoonfuls over fruit mixture.
    Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a
    toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 6
    servings.