Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else memorize scripture?

Hi,
    Our bible Study has started -'Children of the Day' by Beth Moore and she challenges us to memorize
    I & II Thessalonians. So far I've memorized I Thessalonians chapter 1 - chapter 2 verse 10. I know everybody can't memorize as easy as I can. I know this is one of the gifts God has given me. It's fun to memorize and I think it will help me understand a little bit more. So does anyone else memorize scripture?
    Jean Marie

2. Likes Rogue Hobbies, Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do! Psalm 119:11 comes to mind, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." King James version, Holy Bible

My desire is to memorize Psalm 91. I've already memorized some of the scriptures. It is a favorite of mine!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 10-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

4. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beverly,
    That's Great!!
    I'm memorizing from the NIV.
    Jean Marie

6. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been trying to memorize a few verses, besides the one most of us learn as kids, John 3:16-17, I have learned by heart John 1:12 as well. "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." KJV. I love memorizing God's Word. Many say they wish there was an instruction manual for life, well, there is one. God gave it to us.

8. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use to all the time but since my stroke I can barely remember my Phone #. I use to read Psalms 93 to my daughter everynight. After her Daddy drowned she had nightmares everynight until I started reading that scripture to her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I had chemo, my brain is fuzzy. But, when someone begins reading many verses, my memory kicks in, and I remember the rest of the verse from years ago. It is very hard for me to memorize anything now. I'm so glad that I learned so many verses as a child-they're still there!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to but because of my diabetes and Parkinson's it is causing my memory to be short. I can't even remember phone numbers I call everyday and I can't remember dr appointments without writing them down and a lot of the time I even forget my phone number and zip code. I have to look. I can't even remember what happened 4 days ago. Even when I am reading a pattern I will look at the directions for the row I am doing and it will be something that would be easy for me to remember before but now within a short time of reading it I forget what it said and have to read it again.
    I wish I could memorize the bible verses like I used to. At church they would always ask people to say a memory verse and I could stand up and say even a long one but now I can't remember even the shortest verse and it does bother me that I can't do it

Post Thanks / Like
    It is terrible when you can't remember the simplest things, isn't it. I couldn't tell you what I did yesterday, but can rember stuff from when I was a kid. They always say short term memory is the first to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnetta View Post
    I used to but because of my diabetes and Parkinson's it is causing my memory to be short. I can't even remember phone numbers I call everyday and I can't remember dr appointments without writing them down and a lot of the time I even forget my phone number and zip code. I have to look. I can't even remember what happened 4 days ago. Even when I am reading a pattern I will look at the directions for the row I am doing and it will be something that would be easy for me to remember before but now within a short time of reading it I forget what it said and have to read it again.
    I wish I could memorize the bible verses like I used to. At church they would always ask people to say a memory verse and I could stand up and say even a long one but now I can't remember even the shortest verse and it does bother me that I can't do it
    Hi Sonnetta,
    I'll tell you how I memorize.
    .First of all I read the verse or part of a verse over and over until I think I can say it without looking and I usually have to look back at what that verse is at first.

.In order to remember something or know what comes next I look for key words-anything that will jog my memory-the same letter or the same word in a different sentence-maybe a completely different word-the word flattery in one sentence reminded me of the word heart in the next sentence. Chapter 3 verse 7 ends w/the word faith. Chapter 3 verse 8 (the first word) is For. They both start w/the same letter.

.I also look for a connection from the end of the last verse to the beginning of the next verse so I know what's next. I'm working on chapter 4 now. I have the first 3 chapters of 1 Thessalonians memorized. Maybe your thinking-She must be young. I'm 52.

.Once I know a verse(s) I keep repeating it and the more I repeat it the easier it is to say and then I can just say it like I'm talking to somebody.

.In Psalm 145 the first 2 verses talk about praising God. Verse 1 is worded differently than verse 2. Verse 2 is basically saying what verse 1 means. Starting on verse 5 it says what (they) will do and what (I) will do in the NIV.

.If you can remember where abouts a verse or part of a verse is on the page of your Bible that you are memorizing from that might help you to remember the verse or what comes next.

.Some passages are like stories. One verse leads to the next verse. 1 Thessalonians is a letter.

.I'm memorizing from the NIV. I have memorized other passages from the NIV and also the Living Bible.

.One more-Verse 2 of chapter 4 was hard to memorize until I figured out that the first 2 words are For You. When you give something to somebody you might say to them 'for you'. Later on in the verse it says 'by' When you sign a letter or card or read something someone gave you it is 'by someone'. Those 2 words, o.k. 3 words is what helped me to remember the verse.

It helps to walk or ride bike when memorizing scripture and it seems to help me to say it out loud. When I'm in the house I think it's easier to say it standing up than sitting down. Although I have tried to remember some verses while sitting down but if I'm standing or sitting and I don't recall what's next I look back at the Bible.

I've been memorizing 1 Thessalonians since our Bible study started on Sept. 23. I work at it every day. It's fun!! I memorize 2 or 3 verses a day. Some verses are harder to memorize. Maybe I'll only get one verse memorized in a day but I don't go on to the next verse until I think I'm ready to. I might read the next verse before I think I'm ready to memorize it though.

I hope this helps you.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone. I too know what it feels like to loose your memory. I started chemo in 2012 and lost most of my verses. I originally learned them by reading then writing the verse. I love memorized scripture, especially when I can't sleep at night.