Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Depression During the Holidays

I feel so down and depressed. I've suffered from major depression my entire life and it just hit me again a few days ago. I live alone far away in a different state from my family. My grown boys live 2 and 4 hours away from me and they're both very busy working. I don't know what I'd do without my 3 doggies.

Crocheting helps, sometimes. I started a project made with squares. Making a pretty square here and there doesn't take much energy and it gives me a bit of self satisfaction to see a little finished product.

Ugh. I hate feeling like this.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley,
    I'll pray for you.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jean Marie, I really appreciate it. Some days, crocheting is all I'm able to do, especially on the weekends when I'm not working and am all alone. I don't mean to sound like such a bummer!

Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I feel so down and depressed. I've suffered from major depression my entire life and it just hit me again a few days ago. I live alone far away in a different state from my family. My grown boys live 2 and 4 hours away from me and they're both very busy working. I don't know what I'd do without my 3 doggies.

Crocheting helps, sometimes. I started a project made with squares. Making a pretty square here and there doesn't take much energy and it gives me a bit of self satisfaction to see a little finished product.

Shelley
    Personally, when I feel depressed, I find that exercise helps a lot. I hate exercise but sometimes you just have too make the choice to go do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Su O View Post
    Personally, when I feel depressed, I find that exercise helps a lot. I hate exercise but sometimes you just have too make the choice to go do it!
    Hi Su O,
    Maybe going for walks too or doing stretches.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pixieglitter;152648]I feel so down and depressed. I've suffered from major depression my entire life and it just hit me again a few days ago. I live alone far away in a different state from my family. My grown boys live 2 and 4 hours away from me and they're both very busy working. I don't know what I'd do without my 3 doggies.

Shelley[/QUOTE]

I hope you feel better but know that we all care. Unfortunately, the holidays tend to intensify depression, whether it is something one has dealt with all their life or just around the holidays. I find, since I am also alone, have no kids from either marriage and no longer am in contact with either my mom or dads' family (long story) that I tend to throw myself into different things so it doesn't get to me all the time. I agree, exercise will help, I walk nearly every day and it does relieve tension (plus I make people laugh when I say I walk also to relieve tension since it is illegal to beat the you-know-what out of people, LOL). Seriously, at times it can be hard but I have been lucky, my neighbors have been very good to me and have sort of adopted me. If you ever want to chat, you can always pm me.

Roe

7. Likes crochet4fun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh ladies, thank you so much for your encouraging words. A huge problem I have is isolating myself from others. I work full time but other than that, I'm inside my house, all alone. I'm very outgoing at work, but not at all otherwise. Isolation can be very self-destructive and I know it sometimes makes me feel more depressed. It's so hard for me to break that habit. My self-imposed isolation is almost like I create my own safety zone. If I'm alone then no one can hurt me. I know that sounds crazy.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    You sound like me at times, you can't get hurt when you are alone. There are times I am with people (I am also a retired widow) and other times, I just like being by myself. It all depends on my mood.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Gosh ladies, thank you so much for your encouraging words. A huge problem I have is isolating myself from others. I work full time but other than that, I'm inside my house, all alone. I'm very outgoing at work, but not at all otherwise. Isolation can be very self-destructive and I know it sometimes makes me feel more depressed. It's so hard for me to break that habit. My self-imposed isolation is almost like I create my own safety zone. If I'm alone then no one can hurt me. I know that sounds crazy.

Shelley
    That doesn't sound crazy at all. It sounds like self preservation. I would try to schedule myself for "improvement." First, I would do some exercise. To begin you can just do things at home (where you feel safe). Then I would try to do some affirmations and thanks you's. (I am a hard worker. I am good at crochet. etc. Thank you mom for giving me life, Thank you X for teaching me X) Then I would try (once a week or every two weeks) to help someone less fortunate than I (visit a rest home, bake cookies for the homeless, etc.) Do these things at your own pace. You are in charge! If you mess up, start over. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a bout of depression right now, I'm convinced that the devil is working on me! One of my sons has chosen to no longer communicate with most of the family, we're really not quite sure why. Anyway, he and his wife had their first child a few days ago, the only way I know is by social media, as they cut us all off and will not answer calls, texts, e-mails, for the last 2 years. My oldest son is getting married this Sat, and the devil keeps telling me that I'm losing another son, while I'm happy for him, I still miss his brother. We are a small family, just dh and I and 4 kids, who are all estranged from one another (mostly from this one son's choice). I have 4 grandbabies from my dd , but they live 2 hrs away, so I can't see them much. But this newborn will never know me as things stand now. I cried all day yesterday, and could barely make it thru church today. I continue to send cards etc , for all occasions and I sent a crocheted baby blanket and hat a few wks ago. Please pray for me to shake this blackness and enjoy the wedding (the grands will be here to celebrate). I make prayer shawls for church and have been making almost 150 little stockings for the children's classmates. I hope that some day my son's heart will change, but dh and I are getting on in years, plus I have had both breast and skin cancer. I don't want him to regret his choices once I'm gone. The holidays are so hard. Thanks for listening.