Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  184
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning and Organizing the Home

As many of you know, I am in the midst of cleaning and organizing my home and garage. Some accomplishments have been made in tossing, clearing and cleaning in many areas. My goal is to clean and organize every knook and cranny in my home.

I have done a complete closet organization in two closets, cleaned and organized 2/3 of my garage. My patio has been cleaned and organized. I do patio gardening! Also, I have rearranged some of my bedroom furniture and organized the dresser drawers and lingerie chest. The family room has been rearranged(minor organization needed) with my younger daughter's help. Recently, I organized my penpalling tools by using a decorator box. My yarn is organized too!

I have given many boxes and bags of items to charity. I have given my daddy clothing and shoes which he has distributed in his neighborhood. I have more to give to charity and for my daddy to distribute. Also, I have disposed of many items.

I am enjoying the journey! My home and garage is getting a real makeover through my hard work! I am very pleased with my progress.

What are you cleaning and organizing in your home? What have you done in the past? Please share your organizing tools and tips. Share preventative tips also!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

2. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're my inspiration!!! I've been in my little house over 3 years and there's so much I'd like to do to make it a pretty, peaceful sanctuary. It's a slow process for me. I'm a procrastinator. I've been riding around with a big box of shoes in the back seat of my car, to donate to my local thrift store. I have SO MANY clothes to sort through. Stuff I don't need anymore and it's all in my way.

For me personally, a cluttered home equals a cluttered mind....

I've been through some really tough things the past couple of years, and my energy was all spent on focusing on just surviving. The sun is beginning to shine again in my life now, and it's way past time for me to get my home organized the way I like it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Shelly, I am in the mist of moving and can't believe what all I have accumulated. I have thrown out a lot of old clothes. I also threw out all my clothes that I wore while staying at home taking care of my husband I wore mostly house dresses. They were easy to work around in and even sleep in when I need to sleep in the chair next to my husband. I refuse to wear them anymore. I bought me some comfortable and stylish clothes. Had to clean out my husbands closet and gave them to a good friend of his. My kitchen I have completely thrown everything away except 2 skillets and two pans. Got everything boxed and ready to take to Goodwill. Leaving all my furniture here because the couple that are buying the place wants it. I can't wait to get down their and buy new furniture and fix it up. I will let you all know how things are going.
    Last edited by MeerKat; 10-31-2014 at 12:16 PM.

5. Likes Butterflyrose, Mary Laposta liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    Good luck Shelly, I am in the mist of moving and can't believe what all I have accumulated. I have thrown out a lot of old clothes. I also threw out all my clothes that I wore while staying at home taking care of my husband I wore mostly house dresses. They were easy to work around in and even sleep in when I need to sleep in the chair next to my husband. I refuse to wear them anymore. I bought me some comfortable and stylish clothes. Had to clean out my husbands closet and gave them to a good friend of his. My kitchen I have completely thrown everything away except 2 skillets and two pans. Got everything boxed and ready to take to Goodwill. Leaving all my furniture here because the couple that are buying the place wants it. I can't wait to get down their and buy new furniture and fix it up. I will let you all know how things are going.
    Best of luck Meerkat & God bless!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, I just want you to know I can totally relate. Our small apartment now looks as though it was decorated in Early American demolition. I find this atmosphere disquieting to say the least. What probably is the best approach for me is to choose a small area each day and clean and sort through that area, and no more. Due to health problems, the days are gone when I could work all week and then clean the whole house on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    When folding laundry, this is what I do:

~Sort like items into a pile, then I fold them into stacks and it's becomes a breeze to put the laundry away!~

I use this same method to organize the clothes that need to be hung! Easy breezy!

???What are some of your quick tips for the home???

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, by the way, I was born in Athens, AL and my brother and his family live in Cullman. I've been in MO since 1963. Military family. Anyway, I worked at Fort Leonard Wood for 39 years, retired and have been a substitute teacher for 10 years.
    Needless to say, with my husband's huge garden, my house has really suffered. I have a plan to take one room per day after school is out next week and give it a thorough cleaning and organizing. I have clothes that have not grown with me (UGH) and I really need to donate those to our local thrift store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although we are miles away from one another, we can motivate each other by sharing our progress. Yes, you can do it! Just take it One Item/Day At A Time. I agree, when clutter is no longer there, there is real freedom. Clutter is dead weight! Without clutter, beauty surrounds you and you can focus on enjoying your home and life. I love a well-maintained home!

I have used " 5 Items" to get started when closet cleaning. Each time I passed by the closet, I had to make a decision(toss, keep, donate) about 5 items. Before long, I was working in my closet for longer periods of time. Eventually, I looked forward to each new day, so I could work in my closet.

I am so glad that life is better for you. Keeping moving forward, you're a winner!(((HUGS)))

11. Likes karibkitty, karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Butterflyrose! I love your quote, "kindness begets kindness." It's so true. Your quote reminds me of my wonderful brother, who died almost 3 years ago from brain cancer. He planned out his entire funeral before he died, so we wouldn't have to. He had special songs played, and messages read for each of us. His message for his children? "Kindness, always be kind to everyone no matter what."

Recently, I've had major issues with my boss at work. After I began showing her genuine kindness everything completely turned around, almost immediately. My co-workers are stunned by how much she's changed towards me. And all I had to do was be nice and kind to her.

Shelley

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a good thing to do that is to have your funeral already planned. The hardest thing I ever had to do in my life was bury my sister. Therefore, I have written my program and put it in my insurance file, put it on the desktop of my computer, and emailed a copy to my husband, and son. The only thing I have left to do is find a plot. I do not want my family to endure the pain of burying a loved one. God has given me this strength. And guess what, guys---I didn't cry when I wrote my program.
    ---HarriEtta