Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like everyone loves fall! It's my favorite season, I just wish we had more than a few weeks of it, if that much! Spring has pretty much disappeared too, but I don't care for spring as much even though it's beautiful, because the allergies and asthma problems in the spring are unbearable.

Fall is cool and refreshing, finally a break from the miserable muggy heat, the humidity that beats down on us for several months, causing us to not be able to wear anything more than what we have to, making jewelry hard to wear, you name it. Summer is the pits, our weather just goes from hot to cold and back again any more. No fun at all...can't even make decent sweaters and nice items of yarn to wear unless you get the certain kinds of yarn that will work for your part of the country at various times.

Barb, when you asked what is our favorite thing about fall, I noticed right away how almost everyone had a lot to say about how they enjoyed it! I say to you my friends, don't take the beautiful weather or anything else for granted. I'm not saying you do, we're all mostly getting older and have learned to appreciate the world in a whole new way by now. I just feel this is a good place to say that and I don't think anyone minds. (I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, just sometimes we need a group talk...or maybe I just need to go type out a new blog post!) Fall is the best of all and I enjoy it a lot, but season changes throw me for a loop physically.

In the upstate western corner of S.C. where I'm at, we don't have much good foliage change, being in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns, although just above us right over the border, N.C. usually has an awesome leaf show! TN has people come from all over the country to see their leaves, and cars hit the Blue Ridge Parkway here or in N.C. We really don't have a regular fall or spring here any more, and I miss both. I'm always looking forward fall again before winter is fully over, around April when the days here are already starting to show signs of the heat that will soon pound down upon us without mercy for months on end, and I'm already missing cool (not cold) weather before it's gone!

My health is hugely affected by the weather, especially the extreme temps and temperature changes, like seasonal changes. Heat is the worst. It scares me, I dread it, it's almost killed me more than once. I get dehydrated fast & easily even tho I drink lots of water, and I have to take fluid RX and it's hard to find a happy median. The oppressive muggy air blows my asthma out of the water, and I have a dry heat that pain causes me to feel going to explode. Pain and inflammation cause heat in the body, and I am one hot mama. I have to stay indoors most all of summer, and it isn't easy but I get by.

Up to about 2005, I could take the grandkids out in the sun to the pool for many hours with no problems, but that was before Menopause was added to my miseries. I sure thought it would be over by now though, 9 yrs and counting. My husband does our grocery shopping and can catch every bargain. He's such a good man and takes excellent care of me, as I do him the best I can. The 2 of us make 1, and that's a good thing!

The cool weather is best for me but when it gets down to a steady 50, then 45 degrees, well, by 40 I start to get deep, intense horribly painful muscle spasms, and my body feels like it's been broken into. Most of my body systems I lock down inside and my insides feel shaky like jello, I lose elasticity, so there are many things that make it hard for me either way, in the ligaments and tendons, so I have a really hard time.

Temperature, weather fronts, light, sound, touch, everything is an assault on my body. Among other things, I have full body osteo-arthritis, nonstop killer headaches, and Fibromyalgia, (I know several others of you in here also have some of my same problems - it's good to relate), and it is awful - but it could be so much worse. I'm not depressed but I do have a lot of anxiety from constant pain, and nervous energy I can't get rid of easily. Crochet seems to handle most of those problems quite nicely, thank GOD.

I don't have a lot of family left or close by, but the ones that I do have left are elderly & can't travel or are in nursing homes. The cousin I made the new blue and white scarf & headband set for is my age. Her mother lives near her and I look forward to seeing them soon. I'm so thankful for them both, although we talk on the phone mostly since my cousin still works full time in a doctor's office of all places! She lives almost 2 hours away from me and has NO computer at home, but her mother DOES!

My father is deceased and my mother is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, she no longer knows me or anyone else, but at least she's stuck in a 'happy' mode. Her home is about 3 hours away so I don't get to visit, but it's so hard to see her like that...I wonder am I wrong in not wanting to see her like that or not. I can't drive so we rarely make the trip, it's such a cruel and rampant disease.

So........ that's my fall story, and I'm stickin to it. You didn't exactly ask for a story now though, did you?!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 10-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mamamiaow View Post
    Karen, I was born in Suffern, raised in Pearl River, in Rockland County. My DH was born in Manhattan, lived there til he was 15, then moved to Pearl River! Many of my college roommates at Oneonta State were from LI! After we married, we lived in Suffern, then Moved to NJ, then were transferred here. I really do love it here, but miss the Fall as we used to know it.
    Hi mamamiaow. Thanks for giving me history on where you lived in NY! My DAD was born in New Jersey. I know all the places you speak of. I, too, miss the change in seasons. Vegas has subtle changes but I am still Christmas shopping in shorts sometimes, lol! Nice talking with you. Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    OH I just love fall in New England it is so beautiful here. The amazing colors of yellows reds oranges. so breathtaking. This weekend we are taking a drive up north NH to do our fall foliage drive. I also love apple picking the cider and of course cider donuts..mmm they are so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fall? Well it's always hot in Houston, Texas, even in the fall. This weekend we are supposed to get a cold front, but a cold front might bring the temp down to 80. Fall--I look forward to using the A.C. just a little bit less and my light bill goes down.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetdiva View Post
    Fall? Well it's always hot in Houston, Texas, even in the fall. This weekend we are supposed to get a cold front, but a cold front might bring the temp down to 80. Fall--I look forward to using the A.C. just a little bit less and my light bill goes down.
    Hi, crochetdiva, I don't live in Houston, but, like you, the temps here will fall some... high today 91, high tomorrow 85. With night time temps in the lower 70s. Some relief from the light bill will be more than welcome!

Mostly I like Fall because it means Winter is on its way!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

6. Likes crochetdiva liked this post