Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Gardening In The Fall

Have you started a fall garden? If so, what kind of garden have you planted? If not, what kind do you plan to plant? What particular plants have/will be planted? Will you plant a large or small garden? Container garden or in-ground garden?

Please add helpful tips, ideas and thoughts about fall gardening.

Happy Gardening!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to plant a vegetable garden for fall. I've looked through my seed packets to see which ones are compatible with my zone for planting. Cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, miniature pumpkins and spinach fit the criteria. I am interested in trying peas, beets, squash, kohlrabi, cauliflower, carrots and green beans in this season. These veggies are not recommended for this zone/season, but I would like to see what the success rate would be in cooler temps.

Now, that I've selected the seeds I want to plant, I'll need to make a decision as to which ones I'll plant. I'll use my container garden and maybe I'll plant a few veggies in the ground. The size of my garden will depend on how many veggies I plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I like to plant a few fall flowers. We are in drought here and 75-95 degree weather. Most will have to grow in pots. I live on a farm so I have a lot wildflowers and established flowers and bushes, but my crepe myrtle is putting buds on. Sunflowers have been abundant. It's hard to keep everything watered on 2 acres. Including grass, it goes dormant in drought when we can't water. I am an iris and daylily nut, mom loves roses. My mom and I love African violets. We have real good luck with them, my grandmother used to grow them and could stick a broken leaf in the soil and it would root! This gift has escaped me, they rot when I try it! It's (winter) wheat planting time here for us. We pray for rain desperately to have a good stand and growth before it goes dormant at first, lasting hard freeze. We have such quirky weather anymore.:-)

4. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I don't do fall gardening. I just got rid of all my veggie container pots, not doing them next year (don't even know if I will be here anyway, still researching homes, found something else to look at). My flowers are still doing well, (veggies and herbs did not do well and after speaking to others in my area, they all had the same problem, think it was the weather).

My mom was a great plant person, she too would stick a broken leaf in a pot and boom, it would grow like crazy. I tried that, wouldn't work for me. I am more of an outdoor plant person but since she passed in 2012, I have actually kept the plants that I put from her house into the suite at the facility for Alzheimers (that room had a great window and everything grew) alive in my house. I think she is with me.

Hope those who do fall gardening have a great outcome. \

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Linda, we have been under have water restrictions this summer. It has been so hot that it was difficult for some veggies to survive. The bees are just now finding their way to my area. I sure hope the fall season will be compatible for growing some nice veggies.

Roe, I wish you much success in finding your new home. Yes, this hot weather played a part in less production of veggies in my area. My basil did do extremly well! In fact, it's still producing!

With the bees arriving, I'm waiting to see if there will be time for the cantaloupes to form and grow. Since I know that the bees frequent my side yard flower garden, I'm taking my banana pepper plant there to be pollinated.

I took two branches from one of my Tiffany roses and transplanted them in separate pots and they are doing quite well. One is a year old, the other is 2 years old. I have always thought this was fascinating to be able to actually grow another plant using one that you already had. It happened for me!
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 09-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Day All,

I too love to garden. I live in Central CA in Merced County. We too are in a drought and have water restrictions. I do try to plant every spring. This year things did not do so well. Between the heat, lack of water and family problems I have not been successful. I am hoping to plant fall plants. We have has way too many days over 100 degrees. Now that is will be cooling down I am hoping things will grow better. I am going to be working on preparing my garden this week. If I can not find local starter plants this time of the year I will try seeds.

Hope you all have a blessed day.

8. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to love gardening, flowers mostly.. before I became disabled. Since moving to an apartment, the ground here wasn't that great for much due to so many tree roots. However, a few of the neighbors helped me in so many ways to still participate in a community garden. One build two planter boxes for me, deep enough for vegetables. Another helped me by hauling in the soil for me, and yet another helped me to fill the boxes with soil. Another helped me with the planting and a few waterings over the season. I kind of didn't do much, really. But it was nice to be able to go out when feeling up to it and tend it when ever I could. I thought of it in part as therapy and exercise. I told everyone that they were welcome to harvest what every they wished as well.
    There was quite a few lettuces in the spring up to hot weather. The tomatoes did well. Though not that many tomato plants, I was able to put up 4 jars of homemade sauce.
    Now that the cooler weather is here, I might plant some peas if it's not too late to start them by seed. I am going to the grocery store today to get some garlic bulbs to plant. xo
    Mary

10. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To my delight, my sweet banana pepper plant is still producing from my summer gardening. There's a pepper about 3 inches long and another one in the first stage of growth.

Having been quite busy, my fall garden is yet to be planted!

12. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    10/8/14, Wednesday

Today was the day! I planted my fall vegetable garden. I am doing patio container gardening. I've planted beets, spinach, lettuce, peas, squash, cucumbers, kohlrabi, green beans, and 4 miniature pumpkin seeds. Everything was planted from seeds. Now, I'll wait with excitement to see what happens! ~Happy Gardening~

Post Thanks / Like
    I also trimmed and planted a branch from one of my Tiffany rose bushes.