Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of you enjoy taking the time to sew?

In my younger years, I enjoyed sewing and creating things from fabric. Now days I hardly have to time to do it!

How many of you enjoy taking the time to sew? Or, how many of you would be sewing if you had extra time available?

2. Thanks Ginnie256 thanked for this post
    Likes Ginnie256 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy sewing.. not as much as crochet but I like it. I wish I was better at it, but I guess like anything else, the more you do it, the better you become.

I recently made a cute teddy bear for one of my grandkids that I really had fun with

How many of you enjoy taking the time to sew?-2013-06-29-23-17-20-580x800-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barbara, I used to sew a lot when my girls were small. One summer I made "all" of their summer clothes because they went to a Christian school and for some reason that summer the shorts, even for little girls were like short shorts which of course were not allowed but their daddy and I didn't want them wearing them either allowed or not!! I made lots of curtains, all kinds and bedspreads. My mom and my grandmother both did a lot of sewing so that's where my sisters and I got it from. I would still sew if I had a sewing machine I still do a lot of hand sewing especially hemming pants :-). I think there are a lot of things all of us would do or like to learn to do if we had more time but if I have to choose sewing or crocheting it's crocheting hands down!! Have a good night hugs Winnie

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this Barbara! I love to sew and crochet most. I am trying to finish a quilt for a friend's son and won't be on CT as much until it's finished. (Taking advice I received from a wise person on CT) I make the squares on my break and walk during lunch. Sewing is about as calming to me as crocheting.

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently trying to learn to sew with the sewing machine my mother-in-law bought me for this past Christmas. I can hand-sew pretty well, but I don't have any fabric on hand at the moment to really make anything, I am just cutting up old shirts etc. to practice with the sewing machine.

9. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom was a professional seamstress and I learned a lot from her though she would get frustrated because I would cut corners (like not pin or baste the way you should). I used to sew a lot more eons ago when I made a lot of my own clothes. I do sew now, but small items, usually in conjunction with crocheting (like making my own stuffed heart pillow insert for the inside of the crocheted heart pillow since it looks better than just stuffing it with fiberfill).

The last major undertaking of sewing, however, was a few years ago when I cut out, sewed, stuffed and decorated 44 little hug a bears and crocheted 44 little scarves for them and also cut and sewed 44 Christmas stockings and also decorated them. These went to the residents of the Alzheimers wing where my mom was a resident also before her passing in 2012.

I always loved to sew and if I had more to make, I would sew more.

Roe
    Last edited by LI Roe; 06-14-2014 at 04:11 AM.

11. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't sew as much as I crochet but I own a sewing machine and made the throw pillows in my bedroom. I also am on the short side so I need a machine for hemming things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sewing machines and me don't get along. If I have to sew anything I would rather do it by hand. For some reason I can't get the Bobbin right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wanting to get back to doing some simple sewing. I have a machine that is older than I am but still works wonderfully well! If I ever get through with disbursing my mother's worldly possessions, I hope to have the time and space to set up shop again!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to sew all the time. Have 5 kids and made all their school clothes except for the jeans. Made hubby a pair of dress pants with a vest, made my daughters wedding dress and veil, I used to sew constantly, had my own corner in the dining room. We sold our house and moved to Texas to take care of my husbands mother because she was sick. Left all our stuff in storage. Only made a couple things in the 11 yrs. we lived there with a borrowed sewing machine. Just wasn't the same. All my supplies were here and no money to start over. So the most sewing in did there was when I worked at Dickies making work pants and got carpel tunnel for it. Now. back home again, have a beautiful sewing machine, but my hands go numb, can't see too well, just get so frustrated I sew very little. I crochet a lot because its easy just to let the hands rest in my lap for a minute or so, crocheting is my salvation. I worked as a cook here but had to quit because of my ankle. I was in an accident when I was 18 and am still paying for it (am 67 now) It got to the point that I couldn't walk. Dr. wants to fuse my leg to the ankle but couldn't say if it would stop the pain. So with crochet I can sit with my leg propped up and relax with all my stuff around me and still do something that I love and the family reaps the rewards! Carol