Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What trees or plants do you have planted where you live?

I would love to some day be able to plant some fruit trees. I don't really have any trees in my yard where I am now and cannot plant since we rent. But, I do have flowers on my front porch including marigolds, snap dragons, and petunias. I really got a late start this year with my flower pots and plan to plant some more. My daughter helped me pick out some flowers before her surgery and we had a special time together planting them!

So, what trees or plants do you have planted where you live? Even if you don't have any, you can still add your thoughts to this thread!

2. Thanks MeerKat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barbara,
    I planted tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and green beans and peppers(red, yellow, green, sweet banana, jalapeno, pablano) brussels sprouts, potatoes, garlic and squash(yellow summer squash, reg. green zucchini, golden zucchini, yellow zucchini), cucumber.
    Jean Marie

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We live in the country and when we moved here it was an empty plot, 3 and 1/2 acres. It was full of Oak and Hickory trees, it had at one time been a campgrounds. We bulldozed some of the trees down that would be our front yard and then in the front yard I planted a Pin Oak, a Red Maple, and 2 Bradford pears. The pear trees have beautiful white blooms in the spring but no Fruit. A storm came through the area a few years ago and took out one of the Pear trees so we only have one left. but we still have a lot of Oak and Hickory Trees around the whole yard except the front.

6. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, you are the first person I have heard who planted golden Zuccinni. We use to always plant them when we had a Garden. The are the best tasting Zuccinni. They taste a little like Sweet Corn.

8. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Meerkat,
    That's good to know! We never had golden zucchini before and I didn't know there was golden zucchini. I happened to see it when I was buying veg. seeds.
    Jean Marie

10. Likes MeerKat, Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will really like them. We always wrapped them in wax paper and cooked them in the Microwave and then when done, slice them down the middle added butter and salt and pepper and they were delicious. We picked them when they were about 7 inches long.

12. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to try that.

14. Thanks MeerKat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    MeerKat, you talked about having hickory trees, do you get any nuts off them? /When I was growing up, Dad would find if the hickory nuts had fallen, we'd take sandwiches and something to drink and we would all go out and gather nuts. There was one tree that we went to all the time and get the nuts. Mom would use them for fudge at Christmas time. I miss the things like that from the valley . We had places for the hickories and a certain place to get the black walnuts. Then at Christmas time we went out in the snow drifts and Dad would cut down hemlock branches for Mom to make writhes and sell them . Most of the farmers would have their stock near the house in the cold winter days so we could cross a fence to get in pastures to get these You asked about flowers or trees here. One lady started a plant called the Moon Flower. It blooms at night and each year more people have them around their house. I have one that is double and everyone wants seed this year. It is a big plant, flowers look like a horn. And the deer won't eat them. They live over the winter, even if they freeze. Deer love tomato plants so not too many try them. One fellow tried several corn plants but it got too hot and dry for it. There is a lot of purple sage around, but they say it only blooms when it is going to rain and that isn't often. I have a hackberry tree close to the house and I water it a lot. Everyone asks why it survives and a lot of the trees die out. I plant flowers around it and feed them. so the tree gets fed and watered. It gives us shade and I have a bunch of wrens nesting in it. I guess this says about all the plants that grow around here. Margaret.

16. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just plant different flowers in my flower pots, this year I did geraniums only. I did plant a rose bush that my neighbor didn't want so I hope that will survive. Veggies are tomatoes and peppers, herbs are oregano, chives, thyme, basil and rosemary.

Roee

18. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Margaret, We have about 8 Hickory tree in our yard and about 4 produce a lot of nuts. They only produce a lot every other year. But there are a lot of them. I didn't know you could eat them! We always let the squirrels get them . They usually eat them allI think it depends on how old the tree is whether it produces a lot. Something I didn't know about Oak trees is that they don't produce acorns until they are 50 years old. So our tree must be very old because we have lived here 25 years and only a couple con't produce acorns. The squirrels really like them. I think this fall I will try eating someof the hickory nuts. When I was a kid we had a black Walnut tree and we always got them and Mom would put them in Fudge and Divinity candy.

I have never heard of a Hackberry tree. Do they have Berries on them? I can remember when I was a kid, when the blackberries were ripe Mom and us kids would go and pick them, boy was that a job, because it was a large Patch and it was iin out pasture, So they were just growing wild and it was hard to pick them without getting all tangled up it the bushes because of the thorns we always had to were jeans and long sleave shirts. It sure was hot in the summer. But there is nothing better than Wild blackberry jam and blackberry pies. My husband bought some tame blackberry vines and they tasted terrible, they were so sour. there is nothing better than the wild ones even if you looked like you were in a cat fight after you picked them.
    Last edited by MeerKat; 06-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.

20. Likes Barbara G. liked this post