Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me about it. I have an eye exam on Tuesday. I wore contacts for years when I ran my business and then when I retired I was too lazy and just wore my glasses. Now my glasses are not keeping up with the job so I guess I will have to get new lenses. My daughter said she wears her glasses to hide the bags under her eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last couple of years I've got into cooking far more than I was previously. Baking is a particular favourite thing to do, I love making scones and cakes and the kids enjoy helping me out too. I enjoy putting together meals for the family and get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing them enjoy what I've made. I like experimenting a bit too, although I save the more adventurous creations to try out on hubby rather than the little ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    The only part of baking is all the lovely treats to eat Yummy and I sure don't need to put on any more pounds. We bought a bread maker and I do make bread. I used to make it from scratch, but I have arthritis and it is too painful to knead the bread. So when i feel like baking I usually make a loaf of raisin bread and give it to a neighbour friend, he is in a wheel chair, broke his back quite some time ago and has no feeling below his waist. His wife does all the chores around and she is as skinny as can be. Anyway he loves home made bread so I take a loaf over now and again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I used to make bread! I have not done it in years! I will need to give it a hand again. I also desire in the future to make my own homemade pasta!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    How thoughtful of you Misty to give the homemade bread to your neighbour! I wish I was closer to my nieghbour but she does not seem to be interested...I do not have many friends except from one that lives some 20 minutes away. When I moved to the UK I hardly knew anyone there...well, really know I mean not just aquaintances. I like making bread but I get lazy thinking of all the kneading!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, thats why I got a bread machine. My hands really hurt when I use them a lot and kneading sure puts a strain on them. I willl have to start soon to gather all the baking stuff for Christmas. I usually make three cakes, and they are usually all eaten, but last Christmas I saved one and its still in my freezer. Will have to defrost and see what it is like. Misty

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know if this is a hobby or not but I enjoy finding new ways to live frugally. We are blessed to live in the country and have a little bit of land. We grow our own garden and freeze, can and dehydrate as much as we can. Every year I try to add some things to the garden. We have added walnut, cherry, apple and plum trees to the persimmons, blackberry and elderberry trees and bushes that were already here as well as blueberry bushes & grapes. We also have a pond with catfish and much of our land is wooded so there are always deer. We don’t hunt but we let a neighbor hunt here & he shares his meat. We have goats who forage and help us keep the land tidy without having to mow and we have chickens for fresh eggs. At times it is a lot of work but I know where most of our food comes from and that it is free of chemicals and pesticides. Plus, once you get it all going, it really helps on the grocery bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you're driving at Theresa. I was able to live in the countryside for a while too, and now that I'm adding more years (in other words, getting older) I can truly appreciate now what we had back then. In a few years, my husband and I also plan to go back to simple country life but I would have to make sure to have some internet connection there so that I could continue to post here and give you some updates

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Theresa
    That is such a wonderful post. I know what you are talking about. I was brought up that way too. We had a cow, pigs and chickens. It was during the war and money was short. But it was a much simpler life. I don't mean in work but in anxieties, depression and all those wonderful things we all face today. Misty