Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Walking for Fitness...will you join me?

Today my older daughter and I started walking for exercise. It takes desire, determination and a strong will to stick to an exercise routine. I am at my best when I exercise. My body loves it and I feel so accomplished for it becomes a goal on my list. I have been a walker in the past.

Will you join me on this fitness quest? If you're a walker, please share your stories. Tips, ideas and thoughts! Let's cheer each other on to the finish line!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

2. Thanks Ginnie256 thanked for this post
    Likes DinahRoberts, Ginnie256 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been going to the gym and walking on the treadmill. It's a gym run by the city and it's free for senior citizens! Thankfully I qualify for that! I am trying to lose some weight ... doctor's orders. But, I am diabetic and when I exercise my blood sugar bottoms out and I have to eat something....ugh that doesn't help me lose the weight for sure.
    But I will definitely walk with you!
    Dinah

4. Thanks Ginnie256, Butterflyrose thanked for this post
    Likes Ginnie256, Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually walk on my lunch break. I walk the stairs from first to eighth floor twice a week and at least three times a week I walk the parking garage from the ground floor to the 6th floor. I too have health issues and can stand to lose a few pounds. I will walk with you too!

6. Thanks Butterflyrose thanked for this post
    Likes DinahRoberts, Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dinah and Ginnie! So glad you're joining me in this fitness quest! We Can Do It! We Are Capable!

Dinah, how wonderful that the gym offers this program for the senior residents of your city and you are taking advantage of it.
    Ginnie, what a great way to make use of your lunch break. Before retiring I walked during my lunch break too!

Today, my older daughter and I walked in the cool breeze. We drink water before our walk and I also do a few stretches which limber up the joints. I wear my garden hat during the walk for sun guard/protection. Walking energizes me and sets the pace for the remainder of the day!

8. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I am an avid walker, currently do between five to ten miles a day, depending where I am heading to. Sometimes I go out more than once a day. I am a retired widow and love to walk, started walking daily about 14 years ago and as I walked more, it got easier and the mileage grew. It relieves a lot of tension and clears my mind. I do small shopping, you wouldn't believe what I can carry home (one time it was 68 skeins of yarn from the local goodwill store about 1 1/2 miles away). I do have an SUV but rarely and I mean rarely drive it. Due to personal circumstances, I don't need to anymore so I walk everywhere. Unless it is torrential rain or a blizzard I am out there, in every season. You meet a lot of nice people when you walk and I am often asked, "where are you walking to today" when I see the same people also walking. Also, at almost $4 a gallon for regular gas in my area, it is another reason to walk.

Walking is fun, inexpensive, makes you feel really good. I am joining your walking club. Keep calm and walk on.

Roe

10. Thanks Butterflyrose thanked for this post
    Likes DinahRoberts, Butterflyrose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Butterflyrose. I'm a former 10K walker, really miss the health benefits of walking and want to get back to walking again. I'll join your walking group. Plan to start today with a quarter mile or less, depending on how far I can make it after being pretty much inactive for quite some time, and slowly work my way back up to those fun 10K (6.2 mile) walks.

12. Thanks Butterflyrose thanked for this post
    Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roe, you really do know how to make walking work in your favor! Luv it!
    Hello Dragondrummer, being the walker that you are, you'll be back at your walking speed in no time.Yes, yes, yes!
    Thanx for joining the walking club!

To get my walking in today, I completed the job of fertilizing my lawn. As I walked back and forth, I knew I was accomplishing two impotant goals at one time.

14. Thanks dragondrummer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to add that I do have a treadmill and a stationery bike so I will use those in very bad weather but they are boring compared to walking out in the fresh air.

Today was raining so I stayed in and walked up and down the basement stairs since I was reorganizing the basement (again, LOL). I think that counts too a little bit.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Roe, yes, indeed it counts 'cuz your legs were being exercised as you moved back and forth while reorganizing and climbing up and down those stairs.

I will walk the length of a few rooms in my home and circle back around on the days I don't walk outside. Done this in the past and it really worked for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a lot of walking as it is,, when I wait hand and foot on Tom. Walking out side is out of the question, the weather is so lousy here. Plus would be afraid to leave Tom alone in the house. He smokes and he can't be trusted.