Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Pet Peeves in Crochet?

I am just thinking of some of my pet peeves in crochet and wondering how others feel.

One thing that bothers me is patterns that aren't written correctly, they drive you crazy and waste a lot of your time trying to figure them out.

What do you think?
    Judi G

2. Likes billiebob, MeerKat, Dustygirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree with patterns not written correctly and can be very intimidating for new crocheters. I have also seen (a few times) patterns that do not list the amount of yarn needed and instead says "scrap of yarn" and it is for a scarf. I basically can judge the amount from past scarves I have done but that is again very confusing for newbies.

Then there is the mistake of "what are you knitting?" when in reality, you are crocheting. I just want to start poking them with my crochet hook.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    You tickle me LI Roe, people just don't know the difference in knitting and crochet at all.

Does anyone else get a little upset with some of the names that crochet items are given? I have gone to patterns expecting one thing only to find out it is a completely different thing. I like keeping the names the same and not everyone making up their own names, it gets confusing. I like my computer time, but I don't like it wasted with wild goose chases.

Judi G

5. Likes MeerKat, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also hate when they don't say it is for begginers or experienced crocheters. I have found that the ones I pay for is harder to understand than the patterns that are free. It is like the writers deliberately make it confusing, so they can sound supperior than you. Sometimes I think they just make it confusing and sit back and say "Let's see them try to figure this one out". and sit back and laugh. I have gotten to the point I will not pay for a pattern anymore. If I can't find something simular for free I just don't do it. My time is as valuable as the writers are.

I want to thank all the writers of the free patterns. You are wonderful people.
    Last edited by MeerKat; 12-17-2013 at 04:42 AM.

7. Likes billiebob, billieconrad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Discouraged at times with unclear patterns! I'm sure all who write them have the best intentions but some writers fail to realize that the users of the pattern can not read minds.

The best patterns will say at the end of the row you will have "45 double crochets" or "15 clusters," etc.

I agree with Meercat, when the pattern fails to say if it's for beginners, easy, some experience, or experienced.

And, yes, as LI Rose said, please state the amount of yarn needed. Saying "just a scrap" doesn't cut it very well. Once again, the pattern user can not read the writer's mind.

NAMES of patterns, please don't waste my time. My time has value and a poorly named pattern can be very misleading. After all, what would you surmise if the name of the pattern is Sailor Bill's Ocean Voyage? Will it be a hat, a cup cozie, a scarf made it a nautical pattern? A lapghan for laying in a lounge on the deck of a cruise ship or a ditty bag for ole Sailor Bill on his cruise on a cargo ship? I can't waste my time on "unknowns".
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

9. Likes Judi Gums, billieconrad, Deb H., MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this qualifies as a pet peeve or not but not having enough time to do all the projects I have lined up drives me crazy!

11. Likes Judi Gums, Nova55, crochet4fun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You read my mind! I really get upset when I'm trying to read the pattern and realize it's not correct.That is when I have to look at the pictue really close close and become a 'mind reader' and say 'maybe it should should go this way'. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought of another BIG pet peeve. A well-known yarn company that has loads of free patterns and way too many of them say the recommended yarn is discontinued. Now I would think they could at least check those patterns and recommend a replacement yarn.

Also, why do the yarn companies discontinue yarns that are real popular? Grrrr!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

14. Likes Judi Gums, MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Get frustrated with patterns that state so many skeins of a certain brand of yarn. If you cannot get that yarn, how do you substitute another yarn you can get for the yarn you can't.

16. Likes Judi Gums, Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't it feel good to vent ladies? I needed to when I asked this question and you have brought up some other areas. I guess I will have to proof patters a little more closely before choosing them from now on. Maybe that will work out for me better.

I agree with everyone else's pet peeves, just didn't think of them all at first....lol.

Happy Crochet. And yes it IS still good therapy once the kinks are worked out.....

Judi G

18. Likes MeerKat, Poinciana liked this post