Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Thread: yarn winder

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Tangled in center

I very curious about a yarn winder. I posted some photo of the tangled web I weaved yesterday. I spent hours trying to untangle it. However, I think some of the tangle was because the threads of the yarn split apart. I had some tangles but never like this. But if you have a tangle that you do not know is there does the yarn winder help with that.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Yarn Winders....Ok first of all I hate KNOTS so it makes me angry every time I have to cut my yarn. So if you are going to buy a yarn winder, save your pennies and get the “big” one. One that will wind at least 8 ounces. I bought a standard one first. Could have saved the money. The standard yarn winder will only willingly accommodate 4 ounce skeins perhaps 5.5 depending on the thickness of the yarn. So if you have a one pound skein you can count on winding it into 4 cakes/balls. My winder is for 8 ounce and easily winds Red Heart Super Saver 7 oz. skeins.
    If I could have found one that would wind a pound I would have gotten that one instead.

Benefit of a yarn winder.
    I wind all my yarn before use to check it for lumps, knots, snags etc......
    Yarn winder makes a “cake” not a “ball” .....compact, easy to stack and store does not roll around when used.
    Yarn can be pulled from the outside or the center.... or both at the same time for double strand projects....your choice
    I prefer to pull from the outside for the following reasons
    1. I store the label in the center when I pull the yarn off the winder
    2. The yarn will not collapse in on itself as you use it.
    3. When I detach the yarn from the project it is still a solid cake and the label is inside for the next project.
    4. To store: thread the yarn end into a yarn needle and insert it diagonally into the side of the skein and out through the top of the cake this holds the loose end in place so the yarn will not unwind. When I wish to find the start of the yarn I tug the piece sticking out the top and the active loop tightens across the cake/ball to show me exactly which is my outside strand.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

3. Thanks DinahRoberts thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DorisAnn, thank you for all the information about Yarn Winders! Also thanks to all the others who contributed information.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME