Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    I buy yarn from yard sales. I have been getting it this way for years. Whenever I find it, I just buy it whether I have a project in mind for it or not. Always comes in handy for something. I also purchase from eBay and Yardsellr. If there is a particular project and yarn type that I need, I buy from JoAnne's and use the coupons I get through mail and email as a preferred customer. The coupons are usually for 40-50% off. When I am doing projects for hire, the clients usually but their own so it all works out okay for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Hi
    Your site looks great, how do you find sales are they good or average? There was someone on the posts yesterday talking about trying to sell her crochet items an not having much luck. Misty

Misty, thanks for the compliments on my shop. My sales are enough to provide a reasonable income for myself. But, like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I've a number of regular customers from around the world who will purchase from me because I'll go out of my way to acquire the yarns that they are looking for. I also don't gouge on shipping costs.

One thing that sets me apart from some of the other sellers is that I don't mind doing 'special orders' of yarn for a customer, even if its for only a single ball to finish a project.

I only wish I had more space here so I could have more yarns in stock!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey crochetgal, your site is awesome. I was wondering the samething as Misty.Do you sell very much there? Some of your stuff is just beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa L View Post
    Hey crochetgal, your site is awesome. I was wondering the samething as Misty.Do you sell very much there? Some of your stuff is just beautiful.

Thanks for the compliments Theresa. Yes, between my Etsy site and my other customers, I sell enough to pay my living expenses and put some away in savings. My work and my yarn shop is my sole means of support.

For example, over the past weekend I sold over 30 pieces on Etsy alone. Right now my average monthly sales on Etsy alone are around 200 pieces.

The post office knows me by name!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the rest of you that have not been to her site, she has all sorts of interesting yarns and cotton threads in her shop. I'm trying to use up all the yarn I have collected over the years right now, lol, but I may just have to get some more before I'm through. I also Love this:
    Attached Images Attached Images ISO: Online Yarn-crochetgals-pineapple-shaw-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Site for online yarn purchases: Bargain Yarn Yarn Paradise

Post Thanks / Like
    Misty,

You had asked about shipping costs to Canada regarding yarns. When I ship yarns (I and I do ship all over the world) the one thing that I have to watch is the weight. If a package is under 4 lbs total (just under 2 kilos) I can ship via USPS 1st class International and the package won't cost very much more than if I were to ship it within the USA. However, once it goes over 4 lbs, I have to ship via USPS Priority mail and that gets very expensive for shipping internationally.

For example, a 4 lb package will ship at approx $USD17.82 via USPS 1st class international but if that package is 4lbs 1 oz jumps to $USD28.65 .

I do everything I can to help my international customers stay under that weight limit even if it means splitting a package into two parcels.

And for some countries such as Norway, there is a very low $$$ amount that can be purchased at one time without having to pay import duties as well. So if the customer is aware, I'll do my best to split orders to try to lessen the amount of duty required to pay.

Norway has a limit of $USD32 before duty is imposed... very very low in my opinion. Most other countries have a duty free limit of close to $USD200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crochet Gal
    Sorry, I am behind in my reading the posts and see that you have already answered my post. I cannot believe the cost of shipping today, it is wild. I like to knit and crochet for charities, but find the shipping is way too much, I will have to find someone closer. Misty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Misty.

Right now my sales are doing extremely well thank you. I ship world wide and am busy trying to get things shipped out so that people can finish their last minute holiday projects, as well as get all of my custom orders shipped out.

I'm constantly adding new yarns to the shop as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crochetgal,
    I will wait until the holidays are over, before I start a new project. There seems to be so much to get done, right now. Put our tree up yesterday and decorated this morning. Next thing is baking. Not enough hours in the day........... Misty