Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Making it Real

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Making it Real

Sharing my thoughts with you is confirming that I'm going to follow up with an idea: Teach a class at Michael's on the topic of "How to Design a Crocheted Hat."

The vision I have in mind is to teach the class that they don't need a pattern. They need the basic hat construction principles of making hats in the round.

I'll teach them about the magic adjustable ring (circle), how to make a nearly invisible seam, how much to increase to get the hat size needed (with adjustments based on hook size, yarn size) and I'm going to use some information from Cre8tive Crochet in the written material. I am going to ask her permission to use some of the stuff she's written -- giving her credit for the info.

Adding pattern stitches, troubleshooting (waviness that isn't supposed to be there or cupping too soon), how every stitch has to be accounted for, how a chain takes up less space than a stitch, and my personal favorite way of finishing off (which is to split the yarn if it's splittable, taking 1 strand and hooking it into a nearby stitch and pulling it through, then knotting the 2 strands together in a double knot and snipping the ends as closely as possible) which results in no woven ends that pop out.

Cre8tive Crochet and Bev's Cottage both say make the hat smaller than the circumference of the head and in my experience, the hats have been a tad too tight. Besides, doesn't yarn lose its stretchability after while? Plus cotton yarn doesn't have much give in the first place, so I'm not going to teach making the hat 2 inches smaller than the head.

This hat making class will be for women who have some crochet experience (they know how to sc, dc, slip stitch). And they know how to COUNT (la-de-da).

Now I have some work to do on creating a class outline, handout(s), approaching someone at Michael's, etc.

Thanks for letting me share. Your feedback is welcome.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

2. Likes MeerKat, seashells_Shelly, Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It certainly sounds like a class I'd want to take. Im still learning how to read patterns! Im fascinated by people who have figured out how to make their own. I would think thiis would be a good first step.

4. Likes ooh-lalah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like your tip for finishing off, never thought of doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the support. Is that your little girl in the photo? The one wearing the hat with the big flower? The roses I attach to my hats aren't that large, but many of my hats are very similar to hers. Did you make it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got tired of seeing my afghans with thread ends all over the place. I'm glad you like it

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh.. thanks! That was my very first crochet project.. it was supposed to be an earwarmer for me. But being my first project, it came out way too small, and there's a bunch of mistakes in it. But it fit her nicely. *Laughs* It really brought out her eyes, which I love!

Yes, that's Molly. She's such a ham. Loves modelling my projects. I'll take it while I can get it. Soon enough it will be 'Moooom.. stop putting all your yarn all over me!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Joyce, kudos to you and your endeavor. I have a hunch it will be a very successful class because the prospect of learning to make a nice crocheted hat would be popular! ESPECIALLY without a pattern. Now if we could ever get rid of that counting it would be a blessing!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great idea! I'm sure that will go over nicely especially right now with the cold weather. People will be wanting to make hats and a class where you don't need a pattern? Excellent!!! Hugs, Dinah
    Dinah

12. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the Micheals now only hire crochet teachers that have taken the Craft Yarn Council test. Its really strange how they do them now and I cannot believe how expensive they are. At my Micheals they are like 30.00 per class! Years ago I taught decorative painting at Micheals and you could just do your own thing, set your own price etc. But they don't do that anymore. You can find the info for teaching on the CYC web site Certified Instructors Program-Become Teacher Certified in Crocheting and Knitting |

14. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You go girl!!! Proud of you for reaching out and helping others
    HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....