Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Huh?

My slipper pattern from hell-o says (this is after I've slip stitched to join and I'm ready to start the next round):

Next rnd: Ch 1, sc behind the turning ch.
    to make an sc behind turning ch, insert hook before turning ch from back to front of work, pass hook in front of turning ch and insert it from front to back between turning ch and next dc, yarn over, draw loop through and finish as for an sc (sc will be behind turning ch).
    Work an sc in same manner behind dc bar of each st around. Join, but do not fasten off.

What planet does that crochet instruction come from? Sounds a bit like fpsc or bpsc but other than sounding sort of like that, I'm lost about this one.

Can someone here explain???
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, my eyes crossed over reading those instructions. I don't have much patience when it comes to poorly written patterns. I would probably frog it and find another pattern! Like I've said before, I'm not one to want "challenges" in my hobby. I've had enough of those in my life already, lol. I want quick, easy and pretty or cute.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry I'm with bugga on that one. My guess, if you want to stay w/ that pattern bpsc sounds clostest.

4. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting and confusing! This does sound more like bpsc to me. Is this part of the pattern where you have finished the sole of the slipper and start working up the sides?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been commissioned to make these slippers. It's a pair of 1940s wedgies which can be seen at 2ndOOKVINTAGE on Etsy. I'm using 2 strands of Lion Brand Chunky. That in itself is challenging. I've frogged the soles 2-3 times before getting them okay and they're still misshapen, lumpy. Each slipper has a sole and 2 half soles in the contrasting color and one sole in the main color. And now this new challenge of the weird instructions I wrote with the double strand of thick yarn. The pattern also calls for using a size G hook. I'm using a K and going with the size Small instructions, which is turning out in the M size...the one I want.

Before I saw the pattern instructions I agreed to do the slippers for $10 (how complicated could they be? I thought...) An expensive lesson, indeed. Always see the pattern before agreeing to tackle it.

A woman in town owns a yarn shop and she might be willing to help me out. She charges $5 since I didn't buy the yarn there.

Try crocheting loosely using 2 stands of chunky yarn Here's a link to a picture of the slippers.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/9274509...op_home_active
    Last edited by ooh-lalah; 11-24-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add information

Post Thanks / Like
    yes. see reply below and check link to picture. It starts at the end of the sole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh-Lalah, That sounds like the fix I got into last year. This doctor wanted me to make two baby blankets for Christmas gifts for her twin grandchildren. She wants to buy the yarn. She went to a speciality yarn shop and got Chashmeer lace yarn for a baby blanket. She paid 45 dollars for a 3.5oz. skein of yarn Before I knew how much she was paying I doubled it and started the blanket. The blanket costs her about 100 dollars before she even talked about paying me anything for crocheting it.
    I thought I would never get it done but I learned a lesion, to ask about the material it is to be done out of. I hope you find some help with the shoes. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Too late we get schmart...did you end up being paid for the baby blanket? I told my client about the trouble I'm having with the pattern and that I'd be consulting with someone who can help. Ah, all in the day of a crocheter

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know if you ever work it out! I adore that pattern! But your confusion scares me. Im still fairly new to crochet.. but those would be super cute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. My head is spinning from that one. I re-read that three times and each time I got a different visual on what they might mean but none of them seemed right. I hope you get it sorted out.