Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

My first plea for help!

I have a lovely pattern, "Mulberry Shawl" designed by Jennifer Dickerson; I have some lovely yarn and the burning desire to make it.

The yarn drives me up the wall, but I can get over that. I finally, after several attempts, got the chain and first row of the foundation done... not anywhere near perfect, but acceptable.

Then bingo... Row 1 has me stymied and I don't have a clue what to do.

Instructions:
    Chain 34
    Foundation Row: dc in the 4th ch from hook, 1 dc in each chain across row.

Row 1. Ch 3 and turn. dc in first space and each sp to end of row.

What space? Does it mean between the dc's? OR do I dc in the top of the dc's in the foundation row?

Is it alright to provide a link to the page the pattern and photos of the shawl are on? I will and if it's not allowed I understand.

Fiber Flux...Adventures in Stitching: Free Crochet Pattern...Mulberry Shawl!

Thank you in advance for anything that will clarify this for me!

2. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless I am missing something I can't figure out what space they are talking about. Maybe someone else will come along with the answer. If not try emailing the auther and asking her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poinciana, I looked at the whole pattern, and here is what I think: After your foundation row, I think row 1 means dc in between each dc that you made in the foundation row. Then when you do row 2 there are directions to start chaining and skipping stitches. This will make some actual spaces that you will be using in the next rows.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Poincianna, I have a big screen for my computer and I enlarged the picture as big as I could get it. It does look like she did like you said and went between the stitches on the row before the one you are working on. Can you make a little swatch and try that? That is a very nice scarf. You could make a few extra rows and have a nice shawl. Send us a picture when you get it done, would love to see it. Margaret

6. Likes amanda, seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were doing it, I would double crochet in the regular way to the end of the row, and pretty much the same for row 1. The first "row" is your foundation row plus the 34 chain to start. Row 2 is where I see when you start to skip spaces and chain 2 to make for the "holes" in the 3 row. Hope this helps.

8. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Annette has it correct. This is how I would do it. D C in each D C on row one. Row 2 is where you start your ' holes'. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    Poinciana, I looked at the whole pattern, and here is what I think: After your foundation row, I think row 1 means dc in between each dc that you made in the foundation row. Then when you do row 2 there are directions to start chaining and skipping stitches. This will make some actual spaces that you will be using in the next rows.

10. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I go along with Annette. Try a swatch and Best of Luck. Have fun trying dont get frustrated OK PIC after ,would like to see.

12. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that when it says to dc in a space, you are supposed to dc in the stitch. Start crocheting the pattern and you might understand the directions better. If you still don't understand it, show someone your crocheted work(someone who knows how to crochet) and maybe they can help you with it. But it helps for you to be able to look at your work to better understand how to do something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I think that when it says to dc in a space, you are supposed to dc in the stitch. Start crocheting the pattern and you might understand the directions better. If you still don't understand it, show someone your crocheted work(someone who knows how to crochet) and maybe they can help you with it. But it helps for you to be able to look at your work to better understand how to do something.
    I don't intend to step on your toes, or be disrespectful, but I disagree.

I think when a pattern says to dc in a "space" it means an actual space that you have previously created by chaining and skipping stitches in the previous row. When it says something like dc across, or make "x" number of dc's, it means to dc in the actual stitches of the previous row.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

15. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    I don't intend to step on your toes, or be disrespectful, but I disagree.

I think when a pattern says to dc in a "space" it means an actual space that you have previously created by chaining and skipping stitches in the previous row. When it says something like dc across, or make "x" number of dc's, it means to dc in the actual stitches of the previous row.
    Yes, if you've created a space on the previous row by chaining, then when they say to dc in the space then they mean to dc in the space but if the previous row was dc in each stitch and then for the row you're on it says to dc in each space-you don't have any spaces so you would have to crochet in the stitches I would think.

17. Likes MeerKat liked this post