Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

My niece, Grace, wants to learn how to crochet

what should I teach her first?
    I was thinking I'd show her how to make a slip knot. Then show her how to make a chain. Then should I show her single, double or half double crochet? I thought maybe I should ask her if there's anything she wants to make. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    My first piece I made was a scarf that was made of all the basic stitches I did like 5 rows of each sc hdc dc htc tc htc dc hdc sc and repeated from the first hdc then mom had me make potholders one with each stitch.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    I was teaching my granddaughters and started them on dishcloth yarn and a f hook so they would be used to a smaller yarn too. My mom started me on crochet cotton. I think your idea of showing her different stitches first is good. Make a few rows of sc crochet to get her used to the hook in her hand and making even stitches. And go from there. I told the girls the hardest thing will be getting used to the hook in your hand and making even stitches. They haven't done it for awhile now----their on a new kick making those rubber band bracelets on fingers and looms. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBhaven View Post
    My first piece I made was a scarf that was made of all the basic stitches I did like 5 rows of each sc hdc dc htc tc htc dc hdc sc and repeated from the first hdc then mom had me make potholders one with each stitch.
    MsBhaven,
    Is htc half triple crochet? I never heard of that stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what a htc is either

Post Thanks / Like
    yo twice insert hook pull up a loop (4 loops on the hook) yo pull through 2 then yo and pull though 3
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 11-08-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, have her make chains...long ones, lots of them, to give her a feel for the hook and yarn and how to keep stiches even. Then, have her make squares to learn the stitches. 1st, teach her the single crochet stitch. Then help her make a single crochet square. Do the same for double crochet and triple crochet. That's enough for starters. It's o.k. to have her make multiple squares in each stitch, then you can show her how to connect them for a bit of a blanket or scarf. This will be her sampler and, from there, you can help her use her new skills with a simple beginner's crochet pattern. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    when I show her how to do a dc, should I have her chain 2 or 3? Also, I was thinking of having a reference guide for her so if she forgets how to do a stitch she can look at the reference guide. I thought I'd print something out but maybe I should just write something down. I did think about buying her a 'I taught myself how to crochet' book but I'm not sure about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was learning, and what I see as most common, is ch 3 for dc. A thought might be to buy a crochet magazine like crochet world. Its cheaper than a teach yourself to crochet book. Since she has a teacher already. They always have an index in the back showing pics and describing the stitches. From there you can help her learn how to follow patterns by going over one in the mag with her.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in walmart and see they had a stitch guide for sale sorry i didn't look at it though so not sure what it shows