Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Yarn Question

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Yarn Question

HI,
    I am a new member and have a couple of questions. 1. I am going to make\my son and future daughter-in-law a wedding afghan. My question is, what is the best yarn to use and wher can I find a pattern for such a thing.
    Thanks,
    Nanners

Post Thanks / Like
    Nanners There is really no way to say what the best yarn is it depends on you the crocheter and the pattern and what it calls for I use redheart caron and I love this yarn it really just depends on you as to what you want to work with. Some patterns look better with diffent types of yarn but for the most part they call for a worsted weight yarn for an afghan

now for a pattern that again is something that you will have to decided on what skill level you have and I have made a ripple afghan for a young couple that was done in the colors of their wedding I used an off white yarn because the bride was going to wear an off white wedding dress and she chose baby blue as her color

I personally have a quilt that was made for me by my aunt that is Red and white it was a wedding gift from her and my uncle. She called my maid of honor and got a picture of my dress and a picture of her dress and then she matched the colors from that
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

3. Likes Judi Gums, Ginnie256 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You also might find out what colors they are planning to decorate with and go from that too.
    Dinah

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Red Heart Super Saver would be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nanners. If you know their decorating style (formal, casual, country, etc.) then you can pick a pattern and colors that go with their style. If they haven't really set a style yet, then something in a neutral color in a simple design would work with most anything they chose. One of my favorite afghans was made for us by my sister-in-law in off white in a beautiful shell pattern. It goes in any room in the house. As to the kind of yarn, the pattern will usually suggest the weight but I like working with worsted weight since it seems to work up faster than sport weight. I made a ripple afghan in sport weight wool many years ago and it seemed to take forever! Searching Google Images for crocheted afghans will give you SO many to look at!
    Hope it goes well for you and we would love to see pictures!
    Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of making a wedding afghan myself. I am making it in the 12 point star pattern in shades of grey with just a little bit of white where I am adding Pipsqueak yarn along with the 4 ply white to give it a little dimension and does it make it POP!
    I chose the shades of grey because she was going to go with silver and red, but at the last minute she couldn't find the silver dresses for the girls and has gone red with silver shoes. I may make a big red flower to put into the center of the afghan when finished to get both colors in it.

Wish I could tell you how I came to this pattern, really it was just what I wanted to work on, no special reason other then I liked it. I have 8 to 10 rows left to do thankfully. It will look so pretty across the bed or maybe a sofa. I like this one so much I may in the future make one for myself in the same colors. I used shaded grey, a light grey and med. grey, with the pop of white.

Good luck making your decision, I know sometimes I stress over these things, so I have learned to go with what I like and hope it will be what others like, at least it makes it easier to work on a project if I am really excited about it.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there nanners and welcome! There is a wedding ring pattern I believe from red heart.com! Like others said it depends on your skills and what you like best for pattern and yarn! My favorite yarn is caron simply soft, but I haven't been able to find their simply soft pound of yarn in stores any more! Red heart is real nice as well! It just depends on you! GOOD LUCK! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!