Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Post Thanks / Like

Question Managing Requests

How do you deal with requests for hand made things you don't have time to make, don't have the skills to make, or just don't want to make?
    Friends seem to understand, but family seem to think that they have the right to ask for anything they see in a store or see a picture of. If I took all the projects on I've been asked to do recently, I'd be committed to crocheting until I was 150 years old.
    I've put them off so far, but feelings are going to be hurt, soon.

2. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you. Would like to know too!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could tell some of them that you will put them on a waiting list and let them know that your list is very long! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard my grandma tell someone (on more then one occasion) I have 2 hands and one hook and a long list of things to do, take a number and stand in line. Grandma was a no nonsense kinda woman lol

ps it was family

she also sewed and quilted

of course she had 15 children and 43 gandkids she didn't have to have an excuse
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 10-28-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

6. Likes Natch, buggainok, dlj326, crochet4fun liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I do usually have several projects in the works, for the same reasons, too. I think that is a wonderful way to say no, and truthful.
    Today I sent a begging cousin to Etsy so she could maybe buy what she wanted me to make. I was astounded at what it would cost, but put my work in perspective.

8. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The mental list I have for things I want to do is very, very long, indeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    How do you deal with requests for hand made things you don't have time to make, don't have the skills to make, or just don't want to make?
    Friends seem to understand, but family seem to think that they have the right to ask for anything they see in a store or see a picture of. If I took all the projects on I've been asked to do recently, I'd be committed to crocheting until I was 150 years old.
    I've put them off so far, but feelings are going to be hurt, soon.
    I love MsBhaven's grandma's response: "I heard my grandma tell someone (on more then one occasion) I have 2 hands and one hook and a long list of things to do, take a number and stand in line. Grandma was a no nonsense kinda woman lol."

I think that people who don't do crafts or crochet, or sew, have absolutely NO IDEA of how much time it takes to do these things. If I had a nickel for every time I've hemmed a pair of pants for someone in my family, I would be a very rich woman!

I've gotten braver as I get older. Sometimes I say, "You know I really wish I could, but I just don't have time to do that."
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

11. Likes Natch, dlj326 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one this happens to, and that there are some good suggestions to work with!

13. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everyone else, there is only so much time in a day. When it comes to thngs you don't make just be clear to them sorry I don't do that. lol.
    Doris
    Too Blessed To Be Stress

15. Likes Natch, buggainok liked this post