Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

ripple zigzag wave and chevron patterns Is it just me?

ripple zigzag wave and chevron patterns Is it just me?-chevron-jpgripple zigzag wave and chevron patterns Is it just me?-ripple-jpgripple zigzag wave and chevron patterns Is it just me?-zigzag-jpg

I am just curious or is it just me? But have people mixed up these names and interchanged them on patterns.

Having spent several years in the military, chevron's are a distinctive thing. It is one upside down V stacked on top of a another upside down V, unless you look at the Navy and Coast Guard chevron which is a V stacked on a V. So when I see a pattern there should be a break between the V's.

When I think of zigzags I think of a bunch of W's all connected with no break between them.

I can see where ripple and wave can be the same thing . Even though to me a wave would be bigger then and wider then a ripple. When I think of waves and ripples, I don't think of them having a point at the tips like a chevron, or a zigzag. Nor can I see where it can be confused with a chevron or a zigzag. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???????
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 10-25-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I wanted to add a few photos to this
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

2. Likes amanda, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    MsBhaven, I have often wondered how you say you are making a ripple afghan or a chevron ? Like you my several years taught me to respect the chevrons on the sgt." arm. Air Force 'marks' now for a Sgt. go up and down. I have looked at several afghans that the waves rollover each other. They are rounded and don't make a point. I sure have the points and vallies on this star afghan I am working on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see what you are talking about there. I always considered it a ripple, sharp points, or a wave, rounded points. But that is just me.
    Dinah

5. Likes Judi Gums, amanda, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dinahs statement. One is round the other pointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have wondered about the naming of these afghan stitches. To me they will always be a ripple. Michael Seleck has a Wave stitch video that I have made several of, it is much more rounded, and a really nice stitch to work on.

I think the mixing of names is one of my pet peeves as it does get confusing to me.....(doesn't take much to confuse me...hee hee) But don't know what can be done about it, so I just plug along trying to figure out all the different names, and concentrating on the stitches.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

8. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been around the military my entire life, grew up an Army brat, I've spent my whole adult life working for the Navy and Army. I married a Naval officer... so yea, I know the military LOL. I'm the same way. Chevrons are straight lines up and down V or W pattern, sharp points. Ripples are wavy... They are BOTH very fun and easy patterns that work up fast!

Shelley

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some, that quilt, have named it a chevron. That is a fast moving pointed v in a material design. I wondered why they called it chevron also. It still looks like a ripple to me.

Gail