Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  99
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Confession Time - Have you ever done this, too?

I'm going to call this "Crochet Fantasy."

Okay, I got it in my head that I wanted to make slippers for Christmas gifts. Lots and lots of slippers!

I researched patterns exhaustively on the internet. I even researched ways to make the soles non-slip, and posted the tip here.

I went to bed thinking of which yarns I had that I could make slippers from. I designed the stripes and colors in my head several nights as I was going to sleep. I woke up thinking of making a list of who was going to get the slippers.

I finally sat down and began to actually crochet a slipper from a very easy pattern I had found. (I think I'd posted it here, too.)

Halfway through the slipper, I found I had mis-counted horribly. No way was it going to fit on anyone's foot. I frogged it and started over, paying more attention this time.

I did finish ONE slipper. Looked at it, decided it was not nearly as darling as it had looked in my mind. Also remembered that the younger gals in my family don't even wear slippers. Got to thinking about not really knowing what size anyone wears anyway....

Gave up on the whole project, and decided to make scarves instead.

PS Frogged the one slipper I made to use the yarn for scarves.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    lol Annette I had that thought of doing slippers for all the girls then I had the thought of I don't know what size they all wear. so no slippers but your story of actually starting to crochet them made me giggle. That could have been me.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, that happens to me all the time with various projects. Such as Christmas last year. I was set on making 50 stuffed reindeer to sell.... I made 9. Sold 7, gave 2 as gifts, but I was done lol

Post Thanks / Like
    How many times have I done just that.... or find a pattern I just "have to make" order the yarn from the company that has the pattern and when I am done it does not look like the pattern I purchased! I am currently doing just that with a sweater ..... the pattern looks like the picture but the color scheme is a way off.... theirs is more vibrant looking.... yes I am disappointed! Will that stop me? NO... so let's go looking for another must do project... oh right I just copied off one... a gingerbread man outfit with a vest for my 6 month old grandson....found on the Red Heart site.... but they are sold out of the Lily yarn.... guess I will check my stash,.... probably have more than enough there anyway!!!

5. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to have to have lost my crochet mojo. Start many projects and after working on them for a little bit I think- I don't really want to do this! So I rip it out and start on something else and do it all over again. Woe is me!!!!

7. Likes fabiana, buggainok, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
    I seem to have to have lost my crochet mojo. Start many projects and after working on them for a little bit I think- I don't really want to do this! So I rip it out and start on something else and do it all over again. Woe is me!!!!
    your crochet mojo will come back we all go though little dry spells where we don't like anything or don't want to even crochet but it always comes back
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBhaven View Post
    your crochet mojo will come back we all go though little dry spells where we don't like anything or don't want to even crochet but it always comes back
    I sure hope so because I've been having a problem with liking anything I start lately. Before when that happened it might be months or years before I wanted to crochet again.
    Dinah

10. Likes N/A, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope my mojo comes back soon. I am 73 Y O and have a lot ( and I mean a LOT) of yarn I need to use. Can't afford to wait years for the mojo to return! No one in my family cares much for crochet things. One reason is because it doesn't get really hot here in TX to wear yarn items. Think they are all getting the ruffled scarves this year for Christmas. If they aren't happy with them, well so be it!
    I going to voice a complaint. I made 6 pumpkin hats for G's and GG's. Some of the parents didn't even acknowledge receipt of them ( Had to mail them). Soooooooo- it's gonna be a cold day you know where before I send them anything else! I should have tougher skin- but it still hurts!
    Last edited by Magnolia Blossom; 10-26-2013 at 04:58 AM.

12. Likes justplainjudy, N/A, BarbySue, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand how you feel Lawana, have you ever thought of making lapghans and taking them to nursing homes or hospitals. That would use up you yarn quickly and someone would appreciate it.

I just gave one of my grand daughters a cape I worked soooo hard on, she wasn't impressed with it what so ever (and it was expensive yarn too) It hurt my feelings at first then my other grand daughter told me she loved it and she wanted one. So I went and got the yarn for one for her. I won't make anything else for grand daughter #1 without her asking me to. I had made an afghan for her and she seemed to like that, so I am trying to chalk it up to everyone having different tastes in clothing. But when I think of all the hours I worked on learning that pattern it kills me. And who knows, maybe in the future she may try it on and decide she likes it.

My point in this is that even when our family doesn't appreciate our crocheting if we look we can always find someone who will, and people in nursing homes always seem to be cold and would appreciate your efforts.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
    I hope my mojo comes back soon. I am 73 Y O and have a lot ( and I mean a LOT) of yarn I need to use. Can't afford to wait years for the mojo to return! No one in my family cares much for crochet things. One reason is because it doesn't get really hot here in TX to wear yarn items. Think they are all getting the ruffled scarves this year for Christmas. If they aren't happy with them, well so be it!
    I going to voice a complaint. I made 6 pumpkin hats for G's and GG's. Some of the parents didn't even acknowledge receipt of them ( Had to mail them). Soooooooo- it's gonna be a cold day you know where before I send them anything else! I should have tougher skin- but it still hurts!

14. Likes justplainjudy, N/A, BarbySue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes, I have had ideas in my head that I thought would be so nice only to find out I didn't like them at all once I started on them.....frog, frog, frog.....lol. You are not alone.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    I'm going to call this "Crochet Fantasy."

Okay, I got it in my head that I wanted to make slippers for Christmas gifts. Lots and lots of slippers!

I researched patterns exhaustively on the internet. I even researched ways to make the soles non-slip, and posted the tip here.

I went to bed thinking of which yarns I had that I could make slippers from. I designed the stripes and colors in my head several nights as I was going to sleep. I woke up thinking of making a list of who was going to get the slippers.

I finally sat down and began to actually crochet a slipper from a very easy pattern I had found. (I think I'd posted it here, too.)

Halfway through the slipper, I found I had mis-counted horribly. No way was it going to fit on anyone's foot. I frogged it and started over, paying more attention this time.

I did finish ONE slipper. Looked at it, decided it was not nearly as darling as it had looked in my mind. Also remembered that the younger gals in my family don't even wear slippers. Got to thinking about not really knowing what size anyone wears anyway....

Gave up on the whole project, and decided to make scarves instead.

PS Frogged the one slipper I made to use the yarn for scarves.

16. Likes justplainjudy, N/A, Ginnie256 liked this post