Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Thread: Free yarn

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Free yarn

Where can find free yarns or bargain yarns. I am currently unemployed and would like to make crocheting a business.

2. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people find deals at charity stores like Goodwill. At flea markets or yard sales also. I buy a lot of yarn from Ebay but it isn't free but I don't pay more than $2 per skein.

4. Likes SweetARoma, grandmomma liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodwill is where i get a lot of yarn..Here they have half price on the weekends and last week i got two cones of yarn for about 50 cents each,in red and royal blue..I also go thru their bins of blankets and sometimes i will find an afghan in an awful pattern but great colors and if it looks new,i will snap it up usually for less than a dollar.I take it home and unravel the whole thing..I also put the word out to family and friends and they are always on the lookout for cheap yarn for me..I have tons of yarn to play with and i think in this year so far i haven't spent over 15 dollars for yarn...I dream of something fancy like imagine or cashmere yarns,but oh well,i have enough to keep me busy..

6. Likes SweetARoma, Anniem, grandmomma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some have found some great bargains at flea markets and garage sales, too...

8. Likes SweetARoma, MeerKat, grandmomma liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

yarn

Another place to get free yarn is at local churches. If you want to make prayer shawls they will give you the yarn.
    I went with my sister on Yarn Day and they spend over $1,000 worth of yarn. When done with some shawls the minister will say a prayer on them. and they pass them out to needy people. It's a great cause.

10. Likes SweetARoma, grandmomma, Susie Ann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adrian, get in touch with me and I'll send you some of mine. Talked it over with my sister and she says we can stand to part with a few skeins.

12. Likes SweetARoma, Anniem, grandmomma, ytk9z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so sweet and generous to share your yarn Ginnie. I love the people on this site.

14. Likes grandmomma, ytk9z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We just 'hit up' Goodwill yesterday and came home with two big bags of yarn and one blanket that we will take apart because we want to use the colors to make something else:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also mention to your neighbors if they no longer want their yarn you will give it a good home, my neighbor has a co-worker who gave her yarn to give to me. Another gave me tons of it when her sister couldn't use it either. There is also something called Freecycle but not sure if it's in every state. You may want to check online for that. And I also have bought crocheted afghans at my local Goodwill and taken them apart to reuse the yarn for different projects. And when they have yarn there, I pick up as much as I can (though the other day it was wool and since I do a lot for charity, had to pass it up since there are people who are allergic to wool), especially on their special sale days and I use my discount at other times (Mon to Fri in my area).

LI Roe

17. Likes KathyL., SweetARoma liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a member of freecycle in Texas but when I asked to join here I was rejected! I've never even been on freecycle here so no clue why they wouldn't accept me. I even sent an email asking and it was never answered. You just never know huh.....
    Dinah