Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Post Thanks / Like

Pattern error ???

I have a knitted cardigan pattern worked in 1 piece using a "Box St.Pattern".
    1st row: (RS) *K3. P3. Rep from * to last 3 sts. K3.
    2nd row: *P3. K3. Rep from * to last 3 sts. P3.
    3rd & 4th rows: As 1st & 2nd rows.
    5th row: *P3. K3. Rep from * to last 3 sts. P3.
    6th row: *K3. P3. Rep from * to last 3 sts. K3.
    7th & 8th rows: As 5th & 6th rows.
    These 8 rows form Box St. Pat.

Ok, I understand all that, but my question is for the following statements:

Shape sides: Keeping cont of pat, inc 1 st each end of next 6 rows, taking inc sts into pat.

How do you keep the pattern, if you are only adding 2 stitches to each row? One at the beginning and one at the end of each row.

I know it increases 2 stitches per row, because the number of stitches which started at 105, went to 117.

I don't understand. Can someone help me figure this out? It's a really cute cardigan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I just crochet - can't knit at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding of the pattern is that you get 4 rows of 3 knits and 3 purls so it will look like squares when you get to row 5 and the knit stitches go over the purl stitches and the purl stitches go over the knits. As you increase, to keep up with the pattern, before the 3 knits, you'll have to purl that stitch and if it's before a purl, you'll have to knit it. You do that for 3 increases at which time you'll have to change the stitch again to keep up the pattern. HMMMMM Is this understandable to you? I can see it in my head but find it harder to explain......

4. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rechecked your pattern instructions.... Since you do the increase 6 times, you'll get 2 complete squares added on each side of your existing work.

6. Likes amanda, AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks andreala! I'm glad you could help her! That is what this family is about helping others when we can! Plus a lot of other things! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

8. Likes AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is so nice to be a part of a crochet community(family) that encourages and helps instead of ridiculing and criticizing.Bless each and every one my fellow members for making this site the welcoming one that it is.

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have already replied to you, but I've reread your instructions, and it DID make sense to me. Whatever the row starts out with, I would increase 1 stitch using the opposite of what it originally started out with.

ex: original *K3, P3 Repeat from * to last 3 stitches. K3. To increase I would P1, then *K3, P3 and repeat from * to last 3 stitches. K3. P1.

Is this right?

Post Thanks / Like
    imjustb4um, yes, you are right. Once you've done 3 increases on each side, don't forget to switch to a knit again when you start.... Good luck!!!