Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Removing colour from crochet cotton runner

Good evening! My daughter recently purchased several doilies and runners from a yard sale. The one she really wants to use for Christmas on her mantle is coffee coloured and she wants it to be white. Is there anyway to remove the colour safely? I have researched a little and so far the big no-no is bleach. Peroxide wash is recommended for the ones that are white but need cleaning/brightening. Any suggestions you could offer my daughter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sama, If it was coffee or a stain of wine, I would say Lemon juice,salt and let it set in the bright sun. But I'm not too sure of the natural color. I don't think what will work on that. Do you have any specialty shops where they spin their own yarn and thread? They may be able to help you. That is where My Sis found out about the lemon juice and salt in the sunshine. Margaret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Margaret. No, none of the doilies/runners are stained. She has a coffee-coloured runner that she wants to be white and she is just wondering if there is a way to take the colour out of the runner completely and turn it white. I read that if you use a colour remover, it may end up splotchy, so I just wanted to know if anyone had ever tried to remove the colour from crochet cotton.

We are 6 hours from any large centres and our little town only has 1 very small craft store. Most of what we purchase for crafts and crocheting is done on-line. I don't know of anyone who spins their own yarn, but I will certainly do a search on-line to see if I can find someone. Thanks again. Sherrill