Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about ebooks being safe to download

I was trying to download an ebook of hats and when I clicked on it to download I got a popup that said "This type of file can damage your PC. So I stop it from downloading. I have also gotten these popups with PDF files or is it PFD.
    Has anyone ever got these when they try to download these files?

Post Thanks / Like
    MeerKat, I've gotten those kinds of warnings from some downloads, too. I am not tech-savvy about my computer. I can operate it very well, find stuff, and post links, etc. But if my computer got something bad and was damaged, I know I couldn't fix it, and I would be heartbroken. I take those warnings seriously, and don't continue if a warning appears.

I have free McAfee virus protection with my internet service, and it gives me warnings about websites that may be dangerous, too. I don't go to them.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the same way, I know nothing about PC either, it like a car I can drive it, but can't
    fix it. I haven't ever downloaded any of the ebooks before but these hats were so cute but not cute enough for me to harm my PC. Thanks a lot for the advice.

4. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PDF files shouldn't damage your computer. Check your security settings, they may be too high. Usually, if you set it at moderate you should be fine. You only need high if you work with sensitive or confidential material.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a good virus scanner like Norton, it will scan anything you attempt to download and tell you if that particular file is safe. Others simply warn that this "type" of file "may" be dangerous but they are not actually checking that file. It is just as likely the file is safe but unless you scan it with a virus detector, you can't know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a problem but I am like you I would be worried about downloading with that warning. I would probably use my security screening and check it before I downloaded it. My security program automatically screens downloads before it lets it download so I feel safe with that. If my own program didn't clear it I would NEVER download it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime you are online there is a risk to your computer...although if you have a good virus protector you should be just fine. I have used AVG for over 12 years and have not had any problems with viruses, ect.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for the info, I also have AVG virus protection.

11. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have downloaded a lot of e-books but if my computer tells me it may harm my computer I don't do it. Expensive to have to take it to repair shop. So I do what it tells me to do. It knows more than I.

13. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have downloaded several ebooks and magazines and have never had a problem. I have used reputable sites when downloading. Sometimes these pop ups are just to get you to click on them so they can sneak onto your computer as spyware and they have nothing to do with the actual ebook.

LI Roe

15. Likes N/A liked this post