Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Following Pattern

Hi! I am new to crocheting and am trying to crochet a baby blanket for a new grandchild. It starts out great but then I notice that one end is not even. It begins to slant. How does one keep the same size from one end to the other. This is very frustrating for me. It is an easy pattern, and I am okay with the stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is very common for new crocheters to "miss" or "add" a stitch, especially at the end of the rows. When this happens, your next row will be off, and your blanket will start to have uneven edges. It's kind of a pain to count, but when you are first starting out, sometimes it's better to count your stitches, to be sure you have the correct number in a row.

As you become more accustomed to what the stitches look like on the end, you won't have to count.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought too was wondering if you are missing a stitch. Usually this is a common challenge when crocheting. Hang in there - we would love to see your work when you are finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it sounds like you drop a stitch or so. here is a few suggestions to help you. I have been crocheting for many years and still do this.

1. use several stitch markers. I set a stitch marker about every 50 stitches as I crochet when I get to 50 stitches I look to see if my stitch is lined up with the marker and place a new marker there. if they don't line up you only have to worry about the last 50 stitches

2. place a stitch marker in your turning stitch. I hope I am saying this right if you are to chain 3 and turn and at the end you are to place a stitch in the 3rd chain that's what I mean by the turning stitch
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

6. Likes Magnolia Blossom, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know how you feel because I was so frustrated when I tried to do a baby blanket because as you said I had the stitches. You have to count because even now when I think I can do it without counting - I mess up. When I'm doing a baby blanket or even a dish cloth - it is count, count, count. Don't worry it will get easier and don't get too frustrated. I've been there and it does get easier. Have a blessed day.

8. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Using stitch markers is the very best way to keep from leaving off a stitch at the end of row. MsBhaven, you said it all.
    Ginny

10. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree with everyone before me here. The counting is a must. I was making baby blankets and decided I wanted a 12 point star afghan and if I don't count the stitches one point will be off. Right now I am up to 17 on either side and a long way to go. I have been crocheting for a good fifty years or more and you can't keep it straight if you don't count. Good luck, Margaret

12. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, in the beginner crocheter should count each stitch until you learn to crochet in right place in beginning stitch and end stitch. That is usually the place you lose a stitch. Hope this helps...

hugs,
    Gramz

14. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always put a marker on the first and last stitch, if I don't I always either lose stitches or even gain stitche. Like everyone else says always count each row..

16. Likes Magnolia Blossom, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree. I still count, and I've been doing this for years and still need to count. I think the advice to put a stitch marker on the turning stitch is the best idea for your situation. That is the one that's usually missed. Also, when you start a row make sure your first stitch lines up with the last stitch of the row before. I know if I'm not careful, I miss the first stitch.