Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Texas transplant

I have picked up a book with some shawls that I would Like to try. They are made with yarn that is 100% milk Fiber. Now that Is something in all my years of doing crochet, I have never heard of yarn made of milk fiber. Has any one ever used it, there did you get it, andwhat did you think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got me curious, so I searched around on the internet. Here is something I found about milk yarn. It seems to have the same properties as wool yarn.

"Milk (Casein) Fiber Yarns & Blends
    History: Casein dates back many centuries when it was used as a binder for paints. Many 14th and 15th century churches that were painted with casein based paints still appear bright and unfaded even to this day. Milk fiber was invented in the1930's in Italy and America to compete with wool. The fiber is environmentally friendly, demonstrates superior strength and has many of the same properties of wool. It truly redefines the traditional definition of an animal protein fiber.

FIBER PROPERTIES

Good moisture - absorption and conduction
    Excellent dyability
    Comfortable, white, fluffy and springy
    Ph of 6.8 (same as the human skin)
    Can be blended with most any fiber"

Here is a listing on Etsy for milk yarn. It looks quite lovely, but is very expensive and ships from Germany.

At a price of $41.75 for 5 and 1/2 oz, I think I will stick with my tried and true Red Heart Super Saver, lol.

Handspun 100 milk protein yarn 157g/55oz by LongnosedYarn on Etsy
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I think I will stay with the Hobby Lobby yarn. It runs $2.89 for 7 oz. and has all the qualities of that and cashmere. Thank you so much for "digging" My grand daughter is getting married the 5th of April and she has already hinted that I don't have any thing that I could wear in my closet So, I thought I would make myself A long full skirt in a maroon color I have a Mock turtle neck black sweater and if I make a fancy long shawl , that would do me and wouldn't be too hard on the pocketbook. One thing if I make the shawl that will be the only one in the room . Texas evenings are still warm in april so that should be just fine for an outside wedding. Margaret

4. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    Yes, I think I will stay with the Hobby Lobby yarn. It runs $2.89 for 7 oz. and has all the qualities of that and cashmere. Thank you so much for "digging" My grand daughter is getting married the 5th of April and she has already hinted that I don't have any thing that I could wear in my closet So, I thought I would make myself A long full skirt in a maroon color I have a Mock turtle neck black sweater and if I make a fancy long shawl , that would do me and wouldn't be too hard on the pocketbook. One thing if I make the shawl that will be the only one in the room . Texas evenings are still warm in april so that should be just fine for an outside wedding. Margaret
    That sounds like a perfect outfit for an outside wedding. A fancy shawl would be dressy and trendy, too.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I remember of the Hill Country there it could be a little windy maybe? That would definitely warrant having the shawl I would think! Post pics when you get it finished!!!
    Dinah