Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Opinions Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Post Opinions Needed

I recently told a lady that I could graph an image onto an afghan, so i got the graphed image and have tried it and it seems to be way over my head. Would it be rude of me to recommend someone else to do the graphghan for her instead of me? or would it be considerate of me. I'm really confused about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Candi

This is just my suggestion I am not a Master Crocheter so I have no problem telling someone that it is above my expertise.
    I would rather pass on the project to someone that can do it, then to give a project that I am less then happy with and feel that I could have done much better. (I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to what I crochet too.) I have 3 projects sitting in my craft room waiting for me to gain some experience and finish. Fortunately they are not for anyone out side my house so I can put them off.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with MsBhaven's sensible advice. If you feel you have gotten in over your head, I would let the person know that you are sorry but you cannot do this project after all.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes DinahRoberts, luckyladybugslsb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with these ladies. I wouldn't feel the least bad about letting her know that you have found it to be above your skill level at this time. I would think she would be grateful to you for being honest about it too. Hugs
    Dinah

6. Likes buggainok, luckyladybugslsb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with them all. I have had to turn down at least one project that was 'way above my skill' because I didn't want to 'mess it up'. I had no problem saying, "I'm sorry this is a bit out of my league".

8. Likes buggainok, luckyladybugslsb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the other ladies that you would do well to let the lady know that the project was more challenging than you had expected, and that you don't feel that you can do it justice at your current skill level. I'm sure she would appreciate your honesty.

Another option would be to gather some good instructions on doing such a project, and making a couple of small (dish cloth size?) samples to get comfortable with the steps/skills needed for success. You could let her know that you are practicing, and learning the new skills so that when you make her afghan it will be just what she was looking for.

Good luck!

Laura/luckyladybugslsb

10. Likes DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too feel it is fine to let the person know the project is a little over your head, it's over mine also and I have been crocheting for 42 yrs. just never did the graft designs yet. I would like to learn, but will start off with something small one day.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the other ladies. I have found that when something seems to be a little over my head I just put it aside but the afghan has been for my own use.

Trying a few smaller projects may help but not sure what your time frame is for the person who asked you to make it.

Once you get the hang of it, it does become pretty simple and almost fun. You are certainly facing a challenge now.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is the same as a charted picture pattern, it is very easy to do. Annie's Attic has some of these patterns. The background is all single stitches and done in the back loop. The picture part is done in a drop stitch double crochet through both loops. (I think that is what the stitch is called) the stitch is made in the 2nd row below. You also can't turn the work. You fasten off each row and begin a new row. If you want fringe, I think you leave an 8 or 10 inches tail of yarn at beginning of each row and at end of each row. I can't find my pattern but I remember it was pretty easy. I am bad at giving directions so you might have to try Annie's Attic. I remember it was an electronic pattern and I could download it immediately. Sorry if I am confusing you. I am fairly new to crocheting. Ginny

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good to me Ginny-definitely worth checking out!