Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: addiction

Post Thanks / Like

addiction

are you addicted to yarn? I feel like when I can sit down and crochet then I can relax and even if I have to untangle yarn, which can be frustrating at times, then at some point I'll be able to crochet or work on the round loom, etc. but if the tv is on and there is bad news on then I feel like I have to just sit there and I can't crochet. (Crocheting is supposed to be fun.)
    I usually pray for the family if I hear something bad on tv. Like if someone died then I would pray 'Lord, comfort the family.' But now, like tonight, when I heard bad news I got angry and went and flossed my teeth and then took a shower(I hadn't taken my shower for today yet). So was I angry because I heard bad news?
    Was I angry because I couldn't work with my yarn? That's probably it, but I don't like hearing bad news either and I know it says in the Bible that there will be fighting and wars, etc. So, am I addicted to yarn? I used to think, 'How can people knit/crochet all day when there's other things to do?', I still do other things besides working with my yarn but most of the day can be sitting down with my yarn.

2. Likes seashells_Shelly, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think everyone is on edge with the govt. shutdown, and uncertainty and the idiots who are supposed to be adults acting like children. They know how the shutdown is hurting every person but they don't seem to care. I tend to be more anxious the past week or so and sometimes I can't even sit still to crochet, I just have to get up and do something! Just my two cents Jean! Shirley

4. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I get "addicted" in spurts. I usually don't crochet much in the summer months because it's too hot and I have other things to do. In the winter though, once I pick up a ball of yarn and a hook, I wonder how I went without crocheting for so long.

6. Likes seashells_Shelly, DonnaB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that working with yarn is one of the talents or gifts God gave us. When showing someone how to crochet, they said that I had a gift. I thought anybody could crochet!

8. Likes seashells_Shelly, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't watch a whole lot of news anymore. I want to know what is going on in the world but all that negative talk puts me in a bad mood. Hate hearing negative stuff ALL the time!!! I am addicted to yarn AND fabric! Gonna get my sewing machines out soon and make some really cute critters from a pattern Bugg sent me. Thanks, Annette!

10. Likes seashells_Shelly, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    are you addicted to yarn? I feel like when I can sit down and crochet then I can relax and even if I have to untangle yarn, which can be frustrating at times, then at some point I'll be able to crochet or work on the round loom, etc. but if the tv is on and there is bad news on then I feel like I have to just sit there and I can't crochet. (Crocheting is supposed to be fun.)
    I usually pray for the family if I hear something bad on tv. Like if someone died then I would pray 'Lord, comfort the family.' But now, like tonight, when I heard bad news I got angry and went and flossed my teeth and then took a shower(I hadn't taken my shower for today yet). So was I angry because I heard bad news?
    Was I angry because I couldn't work with my yarn? That's probably it, but I don't like hearing bad news either and I know it says in the Bible that there will be fighting and wars, etc. So, am I addicted to yarn? I used to think, 'How can people knit/crochet all day when there's other things to do?', I still do other things besides working with my yarn but most of the day can be sitting down with my yarn.
    I don't crochet with yarn I use cotton to make doilies.Right now I am working on Christmas ornaments ..That is unless my hands are hurting too bad

12. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, My Name is Dinah and I am addicted to yarn. LOL I have a really, really hard time avoiding the yarn sales at the stores, and yarn at the thrift stores etc. However, most of what I buy I give to my mother because she really goes through the yarn and donates what she makes. I have way, way too much yarn for one person and, of course, I never have the color I need OR I don't have enough of the color for the project. Oh well....I enjoy it and I think if you enjoy something and it's productive then go for it!!! Hugs!!!
    Dinah

14. Likes seashells_Shelly, buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have said that there has only been two things that have saved my sanity - crocheting and gardening. The gardening part hasn't been too good though. I am a transplant from Illinois, and gardening in desert CA is really different. I have killed at least a dozen plants so far. This is a little too expensive for a couple that's been unemployed for over three years, so I'm taking a hiatus from the gardening - just watering the few plants we do have and pulling weeds. When I started really crocheting in earnest I worked solely with size 10 crochet thread and I made Christmas ornaments. I have expanded to include yarn for scarves, toys, and kitchen items, and I blame Big Lots stores for this because they have yarn so cheap. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I don't listen to the news too much because it's too depressing. And don't even get me started with those clowns in Congress. I'm currently reading "Winner Take All Politics" and it explains how we've gotten in this mess. It's written by two economists and it is a real eye opener. And you are right - they don't care about us. They have their money so they don't care. Part of it is that they associate with people who have money so they do forget about the 99% that voted them in (out of sight, out of mind); the other part is that they'll do anything for the people who are giving them money for re-election (hint: it's not the working class). So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer until the 99% get up off their butts and do something about it.

16. Likes seashells_Shelly, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I, too am a yarn addict. I have way more yarn than I can probably use in my lifetime. Then again, maybe not. As my granddaughters get older, maybe they'll take an interest in working with yarn and I'll be able to teach them something they will still be doing long after I've been called home. My great grandmother was a wonderful crocheter but she died when I had just turned 12. Being a complete tomboy, I was only starting to be interested in working with yarn just watching her. She crocheted a tablecloth of The Last Supper. It was the most beautiful piece I have ever seen in my life. I never did find out what ever happened to that tablecloth and it was huge, you know for those old huge, heavy dining room tables when you could add 3 leaves so the whole family would fit for special occasions. Many times over the years I wish I had that tablecloth, just to feel it and the love exuding from such a wonderful piece made with such love and faith. Now I don't know whether to smile or cry......Back to the question, I know that crocheting is comforting to me, the feel of the yarn, the hook in my hand, the project growing with each stitch.....yarn lovers are creators like no other and though I sometimes get angry because I screw up, what I hoped would be a wonderful project turns out not so wonderful, at least my yarn doesn't turn up the TV so loud I think I'm going deaf, it doesn't cry because it wants a treat, it doesn't pick on me, etc. Just holding the yarn against my cheek is so comforting because for so many years I wasn't able to even hold a hook. I thank God everyday for being in that operating room guiding that surgeon's hands so I can be whole again.
    Sorry, all, I really had no intention of being morose. The order of crocheting has kept me sane (as sane as I get) many times and has allowed me to give a gift to someone who otherwise would be without. How lucky can we be that we can create such wonderful things with yarn and a hook or needle??? God Bless us all. HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a tablecloth that my grandmother made. It is very special to me and I have only used it a few times. I remember her working on it when I was about 5 and telling her how pretty it was and asking her if I could have it when she died. Oh out of the mouths of babes!!! When she finished it she put it up and saved it for me to grow up and have my own home. Ah, memories! I used to just sit and watch her crochet even then. She and my mother taught me to crochet when I was about 7 or so and I've kept it up over the years. There were a few years when the kids were young that I didn't have any time to crochet but I still had my stash and hooks. And I still collected patterns in the hopes of being able to crochet "soon". Life just got in my way and I let it. But not anymore!!! Now I crochet every time I get the chance and have been using up part of the stash but have been giving in to the temptation of buying even more. LOL Hugs to all.....
    Dinah

19. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post