Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone help me with understanding what this means

SHAWL
    Cut A into 4 lengths - one each 80, 70, 55 and 45 in. (203, 178, 140 and 114 cm) long.
    Cut B into 3 lengths - 75, 65 and 50 in. (191, 165 and 127 cm) long.
    Tie a double knot on each cut end of each length as follows - tie a tight knot (we tied our knots close to the center of the cut end), wrap yarn from the cut edge over the knot and knot again.
    Joining
    Note: You will be crocheting back and forth between lengths of A and B to join the pieces.
    Center longest length of B next to longest length of A. Join D with a sl st in B length, about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot. Ch 2, sl st into A length about 5 in. (13 cm) from knot, *ch 2, sl st in B length about 1/2 in. (1.5 cm) from previous sl st on B, ch 2, sl st into A length about 1/2 in. (1.5 cm) from previous sl st on A; rep from * across until you are about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot on B length and 5 in. (13 cm) from knot on A length, fasten off - 2 lengths joined.
    Center 70 in. (178 cm) A length below B length that you just joined. With E, join A length to B length beg about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot on 70 in. (178 cm) A length and 5 in. (13 cm) from knot on B length.
    Continue in this same way to join remaining lengths in the following order:
    With D, join 65 in. (165 cm) B length
    With E, join 55 in. (140 cm) A length
    With D, join 50 in. (127 cm) B length
    With E, join 45 in. (114 cm) A length

FINISHING
    Thread blunt needle with a doubled strand of E.
    Draw strand through center of last joined A length, then through center of 55 in. (140 cm) A length. Draw ends of strand together to gather Shawl. Knot ends of strand.
    Weave in ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to need more info to help with this. Have you got a picture of the finished project? I don't understand why we are cutting and knotting. I'm sorry but it is very confusing without a picture and more details. I'm sure there will be a lot who will try to help but I think it requires more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to Lionbrand.com and type in Butterfly Shawl it will be the first one that pops up. If you could, Twinfaye, can help me please.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It is completely over my head. If someone has made a shawl this way please help. I can cut the yarn into the correct lengths but the tying of the knots and the rest of the pattern make no sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dash, OMG No wonder you were confused! Who ever wrote this up was not thinking of writing for the inexperienced! Take your lengths of wide yarn after you have cut them to length and tie a knot at the ends of each one, [do not worry over thier fancy knot] then spread both of the first two longest lengths [1 of each color] out wide, side by side, hook up your regular yarn for the joining, 2 inches from the knot of your b color join with a slip stitch then chain 2, after measuring 5 inches from your a color, slip stitch your joining color to the a color, they are basicly using a chain joining methed to bind together the laced yarns that most use to make scarves with. you would alternate the two lace yarns to the shouter and shorter lengeths to make the triangle for the shall.then they are telling you to space your chain 2 then join at half inch intervals on each color. The knots at the ends are then the thing that gives the "butterfly" look. So you only real stitching to this whole thing is the chain 2 slip 1 to each color. The main A and B yarns are the one that are spread out super wide and then are joined together with a regular style yarn. I hope this helps some. Later Gater! Kit
    Last edited by kitty jean; 10-07-2013 at 02:06 PM.

7. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashlover View Post
    SHAWL
    Cut A into 4 lengths - one each 80, 70, 55 and 45 in. (203, 178, 140 and 114 cm) long.
    Cut B into 3 lengths - 75, 65 and 50 in. (191, 165 and 127 cm) long.
    Tie a double knot on each cut end of each length as follows - tie a tight knot (we tied our knots close to the center of the cut end), wrap yarn from the cut edge over the knot and knot again.
    Joining
    Note: You will be crocheting back and forth between lengths of A and B to join the pieces.
    Center longest length of B next to longest length of A. Join D with a sl st in B length, about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot. Ch 2, sl st into A length about 5 in. (13 cm) from knot, *ch 2, sl st in B length about 1/2 in. (1.5 cm) from previous sl st on B, ch 2, sl st into A length about 1/2 in. (1.5 cm) from previous sl st on A; rep from * across until you are about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot on B length and 5 in. (13 cm) from knot on A length, fasten off - 2 lengths joined.
    Center 70 in. (178 cm) A length below B length that you just joined. With E, join A length to B length beg about 2 in. (5 cm) from knot on 70 in. (178 cm) A length and 5 in. (13 cm) from knot on B length.
    Continue in this same way to join remaining lengths in the following order:
    With D, join 65 in. (165 cm) B length
    With E, join 55 in. (140 cm) A length
    With D, join 50 in. (127 cm) B length
    With E, join 45 in. (114 cm) A length

FINISHING
    Thread blunt needle with a doubled strand of E.
    Draw strand through center of last joined A length, then through center of 55 in. (140 cm) A length. Draw ends of strand together to gather Shawl. Knot ends of strand.
    Weave in ends.
    The way I read it is: The letters stand for different colors. The longest lengths of A & B are tied together. D is another color that you join with a slip stitch to color B -2 inches from the knot. Color A and color B are joined together with a double knot making it one long piece of yarn. You are crocheting right to left so color A is on the left side and color B is on the right side so when you add color D, you are adding 'D' on to color B-2 inches from the knot with a slip stitch. Color D is the same length as color B. You are using the longest pieces of yarn for color A & color B. After you slip stitch into color A, you turn and slip stitch to color B, going back and forth. 'E' is the same length as 'A'. Join 'E' to 'A' and crochet the opposite way you were crocheting -still crocheting right to left. The way I read it, you would have the 70 inch piece of color 'A' left when you're ready to do the 'finishing'.

I hope this helps some. I don't know if I would be able to do it either! This is just the way I read the pattern. Maybe someone else has a clearer definition of how it's done and can understand it better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief, this is way too much trouble! LOL I go for the easier things to do. This messes with my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I looked up the pattern in question, the cut and tied colors are not tied together, think of them as pre made panels that need to be joined together, the knotted ends become the rounded ends like when you put together a set of mile-a-minute panels. The imagine yarn that they are using is not a regular worsted yarn, it is like a lace, when you pulls the sides apart it spreads to become a fine mesh fabric, sometimes with different patterns woven into it. Check it out, some times it is listed as self gathering and I think most folks use it ti make those lacy curly scarves. Later Gaters! Kit

11. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TwinFaye, Boy can I identify with the mind messing thing!! LOL! But once I got passed the knotting thing and realised what kind of yarn they were talking about, I really laughed at myself! Later Gater! Kit

13. Likes amanda liked this post