Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: 12 Point star.

Post Thanks / Like

12 Point star.

Susan MJ< If you check back in the Messages, Carynjoyb has a beautiful 12 point afghan she said she is almost done. The colors are very well matched and she said IT TOOK A LOT OF YARN. I followed her directions to get the directions to the afghan. It is very easy to do. I think she listed as a star Afghan. Between her topic and the directions that Mikey gives in The Crochet Crowd, That is why I chose to do it. You said you had snow already, we still have temps in the 90's. Let us know when you find the directions. Margaret.

2. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Texas Transplant, I am finishing up my second 12 point star afghan. The first one was black white and hot pink, for my granddaughter to match her room. This second one is for a wedding gift and is in shades of grey using the variegated called Dove, Light grey, Grey Heather, with just a small amount of white at the end of each rotation of the grey tones. In the white rows only I have put some of the baby Pipsqueak white yarn to give it a furry texture in just the white rows. I did one white double strand with pipsqueak and one more row in white regular 4 ply yarn. It is time consuming and a little more difficult working the white in like that but it is so well worth it! And only a few rows around are like that.

I always use a good 10 skeins of yarn in my afghans as I like a good thick and warm afghan.....I am cold natured. I haven't decided how big I am making this one. I guess as long as it keeps laying well without buckling I'll keep going, since it is for a wedding gift.

Using the video by Mikey makes this pattern super easy to learn, just have to be careful at the point that you don't drop a stitch when coming down the point at the top, the third stitch hides a little bit behind the point. I also have found it valuable to count each side of the points as I work them, better to re-do one point then an entire round. I think it is such a striking afghan when finished. I had several offers for my grand daughters when I had it out to show it.

Love the 12 point star afghan......and I wish I had a decent camera to take pictures of it. Maybe one day I'll stop spending my money on yarn and get a camera........not!

Happy stitching,
    Judi G
    Last edited by Judi Gums; 10-07-2013 at 05:09 AM.

4. Likes Carynjoyb, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Judi, I really like this one I am working on. Yes,it goes fast but I have already froged it twice because I don't like the colors together. and I keep a close count on the number of stitches. I would much rather pull out one point than a whole row. Your colors sound so pretty. I didn't think of grey. It would go with my colors, I will have to try it. Have fun. Margaret

6. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Margaret glad to see your name. I was wondering about you and I'm glad to know that you are staying out of trouble. lol

8. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked some colors a couple years ago that I though would look good together, cornmeal, med. brown and carrot. I hated how they looked when worked together. I pulled it out, used the carrot and med. brown together for something totally different, they used the cornmeal else where too. I learned the importance in liking the colors I put together or it is such a chore to finish a project when I don't like the colors.

I did some serious frogging in my first 12 pt. afghan thinking I could just look at the points and get them right, I quickly learned I must COUNT.....lol. Counting doesn't seem to be such a pain once you have to frog a couple rows.

I now have 24 stitches per side of the grey and white that I am making, it is getting good sized now. I have plenty of yarn still left, so I'll keep going for a while. I think a pink or maybe a light teal would also look good with the grey too.

Happy stitching.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    Hey, Judi, I really like this one I am working on. Yes,it goes fast but I have already froged it twice because I don't like the colors together. and I keep a close count on the number of stitches. I would much rather pull out one point than a whole row. Your colors sound so pretty. I didn't think of grey. It would go with my colors, I will have to try it. Have fun. Margaret

10. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Counting is the bane of my existence!! I HATE counting and nothing will get you into trouble faster than not counting. I really had a hard job with the star shape without counting every stitch.

12. Likes Judi Gums, Carynjoyb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone post a picture of this afghan? I am not sure I am visualizing this correctly and I don't see any links here. Sounds like it might be a fun project.

14. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12 Points

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa L View Post
    Could someone post a picture of this afghan? I am not sure I am visualizing this correctly and I don't see any links here. Sounds like it might be a fun project.
    This is mine, but not completed as yet...Almost though.12 Point star.-dsc08683-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    Susan MJ< If you check back in the Messages, Carynjoyb has a beautiful 12 point afghan she said she is almost done. The colors are very well matched and she said IT TOOK A LOT OF YARN. I followed her directions to get the directions to the afghan. It is very easy to do. I think she listed as a star Afghan. Between her topic and the directions that Mikey gives in The Crochet Crowd, That is why I chose to do it. You said you had snow already, we still have temps in the 90's. Let us know when you find the directions. Margaret.
    http://crochettalk.com/pictures/9134-star-afghan.html The video is imbedded here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carynjoyb, your afghan is so beautiful, I love your colors. I am still working on mine too.

Thanks for sharing.
    Judi G

18. Likes Carynjoyb liked this post