Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question about pattern...am I reading it wrong?

Hi everyone. I'm working on a project for my brother as a surprise for his horse...yes I did say horse LOL I found an adorable pattern from NordicMart for a Horse Hat. It is a fairly straightforward pattern so I thought. Pattern reads to dc first 4 rows which are the headband for the hat.
    Here is how the pattern reads after that:
    Row 5 (RS): crochet 16 dc over the first 16 dc on headband, turn
    how do I crochet OVER the dc on the headband? So confused or am I just reading it wrong.
    Row 6 (WS): skip 1st dc and crochet 15 dc, turn(this I get)
    I've read through the entire pattern and so far this seems to be the only part I'm confused about. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Monica

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyspaniels View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm working on a project for my brother as a surprise for his horse...yes I did say horse LOL I found an adorable pattern from NordicMart for a Horse Hat. It is a fairly straightforward pattern so I thought. Pattern reads to dc first 4 rows which are the headband for the hat.
    Here is how the pattern reads after that:
    Row 5 (RS): crochet 16 dc over the first 16 dc on headband, turn
    how do I crochet OVER the dc on the headband? So confused or am I just reading it wrong.
    Row 6 (WS): skip 1st dc and crochet 15 dc, turn(this I get)
    I've read through the entire pattern and so far this seems to be the only part I'm confused about. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Monica
    Could it be you are supposed to just fold the head band part over and double crochet again over those dc stitches, which would make that part thicker? I googled and could not find any directions for double crocheting over double crochet.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the pattern and looked at the pictures. If you look at the picture, you are to dc 16 in the first 16 dcs in your last of the 4 rows. Then you turn and begin the dcs which will go up the side, on the side of the horses ear. Looks like that part will keep on going, and make the part that goes down between both ears.

It is a really cute hat. Good luck. You can click on the pics in the pattern and make them larger. I think looking at the pics will help you a lot.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Annette. I appreciate all the time you took to look at the pattern and everything. I'll pull it up and look at it. Didn't realize I could enlarge the picture. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks again!

5. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is the way to do it so I haven't got any more advice but I wanted to say good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ladyspaniels,
    Doesn't OVER mean on top of? on row 5 maybe you're supposed to crochet in the same stitches as you crocheted in your 4th row.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I understand this to mean is that on the right side row 5 is that it is telling you to crochet over the 1st 16dc of row 4. Hope I am correct--Iva

9. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean & Iva, I thought the same thing, but can't for the life of me figure out a way to do this. Have never seen this kind of direction before. And a search turns up nothing on how to do this. I even emailed the maker of the pattern and they weren't even helpful LOL So for now am putting it aside until I can figure it out. I've got other projects that need working on. Thanks so much for your help. I'm glad I was reading it right, just can't figure out how to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ladyspaniels,
    How are you? I came up with this. I know it's not double crochet.

Crochet Spot » Blog Archive » How to Crochet Over Single Crochets in Rows - Crochet Patterns, Tutorials and News

St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada, 30 minutes from US border at Calais, Maine.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I was thinking the same thing. Substitute 'on top of' for 'over'. How can I give advice - I've just started to crochet!!! But that's what came straight to mind. Probably completely wrong, but what the heck, it could be fun to experiment and discover a whole new way of crocheting!