Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a dumb question

On some patterns it says to use a worsted weight yarn. I have read on the yarn wrapper and I don't find those words. So if anyone can help me by explaining that to me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Glenda,

Yes, I think it can be confusing trying to buy the right kind of yarn. They are not consistent with how they label it from brand to brand either.

I looked at some of the skeins I have with labels still attached. The Red Heart Super Saver yarns sometimes actually have the term "worsted" on the label, but sometimes not. The number "4" on the label also means worsted yarn. This number 4 is sometimes shown in a little box on the label, where they have the boxes with symbols in a row.

I use a lot of Red Heart Super Saver yarn and the Canon One Pound yarn that comes in the big skeins. They are both worsted weight yarns.

Also, sometimes they use the term "medium" weight to mean worsted yarn.

So, look for "worsted", or the number 4 in a little box or otherwise prominently shown, or the term "medium." They all mean worsted weight yarn.

It might help to tell you what is NOT worsted. If the label says "sport yarn", it is thinner than worsted. Sometimes people use sport weight yarn and a smaller hook to make baby items. If the label says "bulky" it is thicker than worsted weight.

Hope this helps.

PS Your question was not at all dumb.
    Last edited by buggainok; 09-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes KathyL. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. Your response was very helpful. Now I will be able to shop for yarn with confidence. No more confusion on that.

5. Likes seashells_Shelly, buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a good site to be able to tell what you are looking at when it comes to buying yarn Standard Yarn Weight System |
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Msbhaven. Very useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi GlendaAlicia. Just wanted to say that from my own experiences, the only dumb question is the one not asked. I don't believe there are any dumb questions so don't feel that you can't ask anything you want to know. There are hundreds of people on here who can help and in fact, love to help others no matter what the question. We are all yarnoholics but we all know different info about different things........asking is the best way to find out. We are here for each other so I'm glad you asked your question and I see you've gotten some good responses. I am sure that you know about something that will help another person with a question so don't be afraid to jump in on any forum HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....