Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Little teeny crocheted scarves

Hi all. Just wanted to share something I did a couple of years ago for the Alzheimers Unit where my mom resided until her death on Oct. 31, 2012. She was in a wonderful assisted living facility in a specialized unit just for Alzheimers and dementia residents. I tried to do as much as I could for the residents since we all had a common bond and became family. The maximum number of residents in her unit was 29 but I did more in case new people came in (unfortunately, they do lose people more than they like to) and I didn't want anyone to be left out just before the holidays. The staff hung the extra stockings on the fireplace mantel and put the extra bears around too.

I cut and sewed 44 Christmas Stockings (in one box, the green and red) and cut out felt Christmas shapes so they could decorate their own stockings. And bought candy canes and other small things to add to the stockings. Then I cut, sewed, stuffed and finished off 44 little hug-a-bears. I even added little red heart buttons on their little chests. But then they needed something more so that is where I then made 44 little crocheted scarves in 44 different colors and put them around their little necks. The little curly things that look like worms are some of the scarves. I still have the stocking and the hug-a-bear that was my moms.

They loved them, especially when they were decorating their own stockings. We did help them at times since some did need a little help at times but it was fun. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5769[/ATTACH]

LI Roe
    Attached Images Attached Images Little teeny crocheted scarves-bears-1-jpg Little teeny crocheted scarves-christmasgoodies-1-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful, thing you did, and the bears are precious.

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad you showed the cute bears and scarves to us. That was truly a labor of love to make them all. I'll bet there were smiles all around. Sorry about your mom, but so glad she got great care at the facility.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, OMG, Roseanna, What a lot of work but they are all so cute. And the scarves and everything else you did. You are the best!!!! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great thing you did. It had to have made their day!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    you have a heart of gold!!! wonderful gesture you did! God is smiling!
    Crochet Chickadee

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes we get to do something that we just know is right and so special. This was one of those times. Super!

Post Thanks / Like
    LI Roe, What a wonderful thing for you to do for those people. You really have a good heart! I bet you made them very happy and to let them take part in it with the stockings was something the residents must have enjoyed. It probably made their day!
    Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thankful for your caring, loving heart. I know
    the residents loved having a part in decorating the
    stockings! The idea of the little scarves is perfect! My
    husband and I go and sing at the nursing homes and I
    love to take them little "treasures"! Thank you for sharing,
    LI Roe.
    Gentle Hugs,
    SweetARoma

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! What a way to share your love of crafting with those not so fortunate to maybe even remember when they were crafty. I was in a nursing home for 3 1/2 years and the aides at the nursing home were so very special to me. They took such good care of me and my Mom and I'm still in contact with some of them. They were wonderful women! I shared a room with my Mom.