Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hi, my name is Nancy and I'm new here

I've been crocheting for many years but still have trouble mastering some of the stitches so I'm hoping with your help I'll be able to achieve what I've not been able to do on my own. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and have a wonderful day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyaa View Post
    I've been crocheting for many years but still have trouble mastering some of the stitches so I'm hoping with your help I'll be able to achieve what I've not been able to do on my own. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and have a wonderful day!!
    Nancy, I would highly recommend going to YouTube and typing in Crochet Geek. You will find many videos of the basic stitches. This gal is a great teacher, and goes slow and shows how to do the stitches in detail. Good luck. Once you get the basic single crochet, double crochet and slip stitch, you can make something neat!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    Nancy, I would highly recommend going to YouTube and typing in Crochet Geek. You will find many videos of the basic stitches. This gal is a great teacher, and goes slow and shows how to do the stitches in detail. Good luck. Once you get the basic single crochet, double crochet and slip stitch, you can make something neat!
    Thank you for your suggestion, it isn't the basic stitches I have issues with and I should have been more descriptive...it's when I get to the end of the rows when I turn I either seem to "grow the rows or decrease the rows" where I have the problems. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!! Have a great day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your suggestion, it isn't the basic stitches I have issues with and I should have been more descriptive...it's when I get to the end of the rows when I turn I either seem to "grow the rows or decrease the rows" where I have the problems. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!! Have a great day!!
    I think a lot of people have trouble with that when they first start to crochet. It's hard to recognize if you are putting your hook into the last stitch, because you don't recognize that there is really another stitch on that row. Or, you add a stitch accidentally the same way, by picking up a loop on the previous row.

It is kind of tedious, but when you are a beginner it is really helpful to count the stitches in the rows before you chain and turn to do the next row. You don't have to count as you crochet, but when you get to the end of your row, go back and count the stitches in that row before you make your turn, to be sure you have the right number.

As you get more experienced looking at your stitches, you will be able to tell if that last stitch you are making is really the "last" stitch.

I have a couple of early projects that have "wavy" sides from adding or decreasing stitches at the end. I think it happens to everyone when you first start out.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome!

My name is Barbara. We are glad you joined us in the forums and we look forward to hearing more from you! Feel free to look around and ask questions. You can also post some pictures of your work if you would like! Make yourself at home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nancy: I am trying to master the spider stitch afghan and it is a bit difficult for me. I have been crocheting for many years and still have difficulty with patterns etc. Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your input...I think has been my problem from the very beginning..I'm just too "much in a hurry" to count the stitches" which leaves me in a mess and a project that is much less than perfect and one that I would NEVER give to anyone as a gift...guess after all these years (OMG 40+ years) I just better start taking the time to start counting! Thanks so much for 'setting me straight on what I've been doing wrong!" Have a great night!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your input...I think has been my problem from the very beginning..I'm just too "much in a hurry" to count the stitches" which leaves me in a mess and a project that is much less than perfect and one that I would NEVER give to anyone as a gift...guess after all these years (OMG 40+ years) I just better start taking the time to start counting! Thanks so much for 'setting me straight on what I've been doing wrong!" Have a great night!!
    Nancy, I can really relate to not wanting to count. I am that sort, too. I just want to "get on with it", but found I was so disappointed with things not turning out right. I made myself count on the first few afghans I crocheted. And, amazing, they turned out with even rows. I even developed the mindset that I could "rip out" or unravel a bunch of stitches when I found I had completely skipped a stitch. It was hard for me to do that, but I didn't want to carry the mistake through the whole thing. I still count for the first couple of rows, to be sure I get started out right, then I rely on "eyeballing" to see if my rows are even. If they look "off", I count that row.

Crocheting is like anything we do, the more we do it, the better we get at it. I have discovered about myself that I don't like complicated patterns with a lot of changes in rows so I have to look at the pattern constantly. I've found some patterns that I really like and that go together quickly. You can make them look very different with different colors of yarn.

I think I'm too old to want "challenges." Ha! I've had enough of those in my life. I want something that I can finish, be proud of and that someone will appreciate.

I am in awe of folks that do those elaborate doilies. Makes my head hurt to even think about crocheting those.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

9. Likes nancyaa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Annette: You know, maybe that is the reason I am having trouble with the spider pattern shawl! Too many lane changes! Perhaps I should just go back to what I know and do OK with!!!! I did accomplish the block shawl pattern and will post on pics. Hugs, Shirley

11. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your suggestions and kindness! I am SO happy I joined this site, you have all made me feel so much better about my "failures"...now I will count and rip (OH how I hate to rip) but I hate not having my projects turn out the way I want even more! Thanks again for your help!! Have a wonderful day!!!

13. Likes buggainok liked this post