Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Crochet a Rectangle

Can anyone out there tell me how to single crochet a rectangle, in rounds, not back and forth. I want to make a rectangular rag rug, but I would like to single crochet it, not double.

Thanks, gp
    gp

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the middle of making an oval rag rug myself, and did a lot of internet research before I began. I'm using a large size crochet hook, and single crochet. I went to Goodwill and bought some sheets, which I tore into 1" strips.

It is looking really good so far. I'm finding it a lot more labor intensive to crochet with strips of fabric rather than yarn. It doesn't slide over your hook at all. I'm working on it in spurts, and taking breaks so I don't throw my elbow out, lol.

Here is a good blogsite with instructions for an oval rag rug:

Turning a House into a Home {creating beauty on a budget}: Turning a Rag into a Rag Rug
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes N/A, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for info and idea! Good mindless work while producing something useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
    Thank you both for info and idea! Good mindless work while producing something useful.
    Yes, you are right. I have found out though, that hot summertime, even in air conditioning, may not be the best time to work on something like a big rug! It is really heavy and hot on my lap. Maybe it will soon be big enough that I can SIT ON it to crochet, instead of under it.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

6. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Annette: Sounds like a great idea to sit on it. One gal I know used a foot stool that would go around as she worked on a tablecloth and I don't know why you could not do that too! Shirley

8. Likes N/A, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Buggainok,

Thanks so much for your input...I will definitely check out the site you suggested. I have made several oval rugs and am ready for more of a challenge, hence the rectangular rug project. I just checked out the site you suggested and it is very good.

Just to help you out a little...I think you will find that if you concentrate on crocheting loosely you will have a much easier time with your stitches. I even give an extra little pull at the top of my sc to give me a bit more fabric to work with. I also use a size "P" hook, not that great big blue hook that I have seen used so much, maybe one day I will try one. Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help with my problem.
    gp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxysadie View Post
    Dear Buggainok,

Thanks so much for your input...I will definitely check out the site you suggested. I have made several oval rugs and am ready for more of a challenge, hence the rectangular rug project. I just checked out the site you suggested and it is very good.

Just to help you out a little...I think you will find that if you concentrate on crocheting loosely you will have a much easier time with your stitches. I even give an extra little pull at the top of my sc to give me a bit more fabric to work with. I also use a size "P" hook, not that great big blue hook that I have seen used so much, maybe one day I will try one. Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help with my problem.
    You are so welcome, and thank you right back! I agree about the giant blue hook. It came in the pack with a smaller one, which I think is the P size. The smaller one is the one I'm using. You are right about crocheting loosely, it does make it easier, but I really like the look when the stitches are closer, and you can't see holes through the rug. I'm trying to find a balance between too tight, and too loose.

My daughter just moved into a big house in the country with glazed concrete floors all over the ground floor level, so I'm making the rug for her as a surprise.
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    That is so great that you are making a rug for your daughter, I am sure she will love it. I have made several small ones for my daughters, about 3' x 4', or 3' x 5'. and also some runners. I made a large oval for my living room about 7.5' x 9' last winter, and now both girls want one, so there is my next project. However, I really want to make a rectangular one for my one daughter's living room, and like you, I like the tighter stitches, that is the reason I am looking for the correct way to crochet a rectangle in single crochet. I have winged it, but doesn't turn out very good, can't seem to get it to lay flat, unless I use the double crochet pattern. Whatever I am doing wrong, is probably so simple that it is staring me in the face, but I just can't see it...gp
    gp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxysadie View Post
    That is so great that you are making a rug for your daughter, I am sure she will love it. I have made several small ones for my daughters, about 3' x 4', or 3' x 5'. and also some runners. I made a large oval for my living room about 7.5' x 9' last winter, and now both girls want one, so there is my next project. However, I really want to make a rectangular one for my one daughter's living room, and like you, I like the tighter stitches, that is the reason I am looking for the correct way to crochet a rectangle in single crochet. I have winged it, but doesn't turn out very good, can't seem to get it to lay flat, unless I use the double crochet pattern. Whatever I am doing wrong, is probably so simple that it is staring me in the face, but I just can't see it...gp
    I'm so impressed that you made that big oval rug - it gives me hope that I can make mine that big, too. I cruise around on the internet quite a lot, so will keep my eye open for a technique to make a rectangle rug in the round. All the ones I've seen are done in rows. Guess you don't like that look?
    Annette

Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    The back and forth rectangle, is not particularly a favorite of mine, probably because most of the afghans I have made, go back and forth, I kind of get bored with that. I began making the rugs because of the cost of yarn for the afghans. I can probably make a good size rug for around $10, (depending on what kind of a buy I make on the sheets), where as the afghans I was making were costing anywhere from $50 +.

So good chatting with you, hope to talk more, and thanks for all of your help...gp
    gp

14. Likes buggainok liked this post