Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Man to teach boys 9-14 to knit!

There is a story in paper tricityherald.com about a man who is going to teach a class on knitting for boys only. Said he learned to quilt and crochet from his grandmother! Thought I would share with anyone who is interested! Shirley

2. Likes Butterflyrose, dayco463, LI Roe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is wonderful. I think it is so neat when men/boys take up non-traditional hobbies. In the 1970's (see, I'm old, lol) a famous NFL Football player, Roosevelt Grier, took up needlepoint to relieve stress. He wrote a book about it. Here is a link to see:

Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men: Rosey Grier: 9780802704214: Amazon.com: Books
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Annette: I am old too and remember well when Rosie did that!!!! It was on the same lines that there is no masculine or feminine limit to things!!!! Just thought it went along with some of the things we all discuss! Shirley

5. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's important to pass that information on. I have no way of knowing if his grandmother is alive or not but as long as the chain of the people that learned from her continues she will live on.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=buggainok;88605]That is wonderful. I think it is so neat when men/boys take up non-traditional hobbies. In the 1970's (see, I'm old, lol) a famous NFL Football player, Roosevelt Grier, took up needlepoint to relieve stress. He wrote a book about it. Here is a link to see:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Rosey-Griers-Needlepoint-Men-Grier/dp/0802704212]Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men: Rosey Grier: 9780802704214: Amazon.com: Books[/url][/QUOTE]

I remember that too and my uncle did the most beautiful needlepoint that I have ever seen. I think it is great when men get involved in what people will often consider "women crafts" and not care who knows it.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I can only imagine that boys will like knitting and crochet as much as I liked camping, hunting and fishing. A little "cross-training" is a good thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sister-in-law and her son was diagnosed with ADD so to train him to focus better, she taught him how to knit, he does quite well too, both in knitting and in focusing

10. Likes GrammaJoe, tawnyafletcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hats off to this man who will share his love of knitting with other future men! A strong man!
    I remember when Rosie took up that craft. It just made him a more powerful man!~Beverly~

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    knitting yuck, crochet is where its all at lol. i wonder if i will ever find some one to pass on my plushies talent to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not for anything but I wonder how much press and how many comments there would be if a woman was going to teach those boys to knit and/or crochet. Is this about a man doing it? Kudos for his willingness to pass on the art but I think it's enough already. Sorry. I just think women should get the same attention and recognition for teaching boys the craft as a man obviously does.